This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.1669 / 55°10'0"N
Longitude: -1.6869 / 1°41'12"W
OS Eastings: 420043
OS Northings: 585885
OS Grid: NZ200858
Mapcode National: GBR J8NP.LM
Mapcode Global: WHC2R.1DZB
Entry Name: The Chantry
Listing Date: 11 August 1950
Last Amended: 22 August 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1042759
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238707
Location: Morpeth, Northumberland, NE61
Civil Parish: Morpeth
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Morpeth
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
MORPETH CHANTRY PLACE
25/222 The Chantry
(formerly listed as
11.8.50 Chantry Wells) )
Former chantry chapel of All Saints, later a grammar school and various other
uses. Now used as tourist information centre. c.1300 and 1738. Random rubble
to older parts. Later parts ashlar. Welsh slate roofs. Double-span roof.
North side has largely medieval masonry wth irregular openings. Blocked double-
chamfered C13 transept arch; also a blocked pointed-arched doorway and a blocked
lancet. To right a C20 shop front. Right return, i.e. west end of former
church, has pointed-arched portal in multi-moulded surround. 2 double-chamfered
pointed-arched windows above with C19 wood tracery. Bellcote over. Left return
is of 1738 with 2 round-headed windows with intersecting glazing bars in raised
surrounds with impost blocks; oval oeil de boeuf window over, all set in earlier
South side is of 1738. Rusticated quoins. 5 bays.
Tall round-headed windows with intersecting glazing bars; impost blocks linked
by string; moulded arches.
Gabled roofs with flat coping and urn finials.
Interior: 3-bay C18 arcade with round piers and arches with architraves. 2
blocked pointed-arched doorways. Medieval roof timbers in older part.
Listing NGR: NZ2004285889
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings