This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.1597 / 55°9'35"N
Longitude: -1.6922 / 1°41'31"W
OS Eastings: 419711
OS Northings: 585088
OS Grid: NZ197850
Mapcode National: GBR J8MS.G5
Mapcode Global: WHC2Q.ZKCV
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 11 August 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1042763
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238714
Location: Morpeth, Northumberland, NE61
Civil Parish: Morpeth
Built-Up Area: Morpeth
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Morpeth
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
MORPETH HIGH CHURCH
24/229 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. Largely C14. Squared stone with Lakeland slate and lead roofs.
West tower, nave with aisles and south porch, chancel and vestry.
2-storey tower with angle buttresses and 2-light bell openings; low, lead C18
concave spire. 5-bay nave with C19 porch; windows with cusped Y-tracery; south
aisle east window is 3-light with reticulated tracery. Nave and aisles have
low-pitched roofs behind parapets.
3-bay chancel has original priest's door with decorative hinges and knocker.
2-light windows with Decorated tracery, divided by buttresses. Large C18
incised sundial. Large 5-light east window with reticulated tracery; 2 cusped
niches in buttress on south side. High steeply-pitched roof.
On north side an original 2-storey vestry with 2 gargoyles. North aisle partly
rebuilt in C19.
Interior: Original south door with iron knocker. Original door also into
vestry. Arcades with double-chamfered arches and octagonal piers. South arcade
responds have foliage capitals. Double-chamfered tower arch dying into imposts
and double-chamfered chancel arch on octagonal responds. Original nave roof
with arched braces and cusped spandrels between purlins and principal rafters.
Old timbers in aisle roofs also. In south aisle a C14 tomb recess. Squint into
chancel. C14 glass in south aisle east window. East window has C14 "Tree of
Jesse" glass, restored 1851 by Wailes. Elaborate sedilia and piscina with
crocketed ogee heads and figures on the dividing columns. C14 head stops to
all chancel windows. Original door to aumbry on chancel north wall. Chancel
has C19 roof with cusped arched braces on angel corbels. Good late C19 screens
and pulpit. Cartouche to Robert Fenwick, 1717, in south aisle.
Listing NGR: NZ1971385088
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings