History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Holy Trinity

A Grade II Listed Building in Matfen, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.0403 / 55°2'25"N

Longitude: -1.9537 / 1°57'13"W

OS Eastings: 403058

OS Northings: 571755

OS Grid: NZ030717

Mapcode National: GBR GBS4.TZ

Mapcode Global: WHB21.YKVW

Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 28 April 1969

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1042782

English Heritage Legacy ID: 238664

Location: Matfen, Northumberland, NE20

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Matfen

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Matfen Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Matfen

Listing Text

MATFEN MATFEN
NZ 07 SW

14/181 Church of the
28.4.69 Holy Trinity

GV II


Parish church. 1841-2, tower and spire added 1853-4. By and for Sir Edward
Blackett. Ashlar with Welsh slate roof. Early English style.

West tower and spire, nave, chancel and vestry.

West doorway has studded door with decorative ironwork in surround with 2
orders of columns. 3-stage tower with angle buttresses, lancets on 1st floor
and triple, shafted lancets on 2nd floor, the outer lights blind. Tall broach
spire with lucarnes and elaborate vane. South side of tower has outside stone
stairs, with solid stone balustrade, leading to bell-ringers' chamber.

4-bay nave has lancets with double-chamfered surrounds set in shallow recesses
with close-set moulded brackets below the eaves. Buttreses between windows.
Rose window in east gable.

Small 2-bay chancel has priest's door with shouldered lintel; lancet windows.
East window of three stepped lancets.

Gabled roof with overlapping coping.

Interior: set in chancel wall, four C17 alabaster Baroque panels showing
scenes from the nativity; said to be Dutch and of very high quality.
Naturalistic wood eagle lectern. Gothic wood pulpit and brass communion rail.
Northumberland Record Office (34) ZBL 265.


Listing NGR: NZ0305871755

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.