This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.1609 / 55°9'39"N
Longitude: -1.8218 / 1°49'18"W
OS Eastings: 411448
OS Northings: 585190
OS Grid: NZ114851
Mapcode National: GBR H8QR.CR
Mapcode Global: WHC2N.ZJMX
Entry Name: Farmbuildings to North of Meldon Park Farmhouse
Listing Date: 20 October 1969
Last Amended: 30 January 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1042901
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238344
Location: Meldon, Northumberland, NE61
Civil Parish: Meldon
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Hartburn with Meldon
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
MELDON MELDON PARK FARM
NZ 18 NW NZ 114852
Farmbuildings to north
l0/112 of Meldon Park Farmhouse
(Formerly listed as farm
20.10.69 buildinqs at Meldon Park
Planned farmbuildings with mill, 1809. Squared stone with dressings; slate
roofs. Single storey. Ranges around rectangular stableyard open to south,
with tower at north-west corner. North range continued east as cottage, barn
running north from tower links with mill. Elevations to yard: east range has
double doors with 3-step mounting block to left and small projecting kennel
block to right; low walls with chamfered coping carry cast-iron rails. North
range: 5 stable doors, the centre 3 with 3-pane overlights, with Yorkshire
sash windows between. Tower to left 3 storeys with slatted windows and
pyramidal roof rising to a louvre. West range has 4 stable doors with 3-pane
overlights. South ends of east and west ranges have double doors under
segmental arches and coped open-pedimented gables. Cottage 2 storeys, 2 bays;
flush-panelled door on south, C20 casement to right with paired renewed 12-pane
sashes in half dormer above. Stepped ashlar stacks to ridge and at right end.
Barn 2 storeys, 4 irregular bays, altered. Mill consists of cross-wing running
west from north end of barn, and block running north, built on steep slope
dropping towards river; lower lean-to wheelhouse at the foot of its tall north
gable. Doorways with stop-chamfered alternating-block surrounds, open-pedimented
gable to cross-wing; main north gable has circular window in gable, above band.
Interior: wheelpit, millstones and internal partitions.
Mill section derelict and partly ruinous at time of survey. Range of farm
buildings running west from tower much altered, not of interest.
Hodgson, History of Northumberland, Part II Vol II p.3 (1832).
Listing NGR: NZ1144885190
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings