History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Longwitton Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Netherwitton, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.1918 / 55°11'30"N

Longitude: -1.8749 / 1°52'29"W

OS Eastings: 408063

OS Northings: 588619

OS Grid: NZ080886

Mapcode National: GBR H8BD.WP

Mapcode Global: WHC2G.5RGS

Entry Name: Longwitton Hall

Listing Date: 30 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1042907

English Heritage Legacy ID: 238363

Location: Netherwitton, Northumberland, NE61

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Netherwitton

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Hartburn with Meldon

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Longwitton

Listing Text

NETHERWITTON LONGWITTON
NZ 08 NE
9/130 Longwitton Hall
GV II
House, west wing probably early C18 altered late C18, south-east block c.1840,
later C19 extensions. Squared stone with dressings; south-east block tooled-
and-margined stone with ashlar dressings; slate roofs. L-plan with later
extruded additions. West front(to courtyard) 2 storeys, 8 bays, irregular.
6-panel door in 5th bay, boarded door with chamfered surround in 1st bay. Varied
fenestration, mostly sashes; 3rd bay ground-floor window is a tripartite sash
in a raised and chamfered stone surround, set in an earlier opening with a flat-
arched lintel. 7th and 8th bays slightly taller with blind windows. Hipped
roof with 3 stepped ridge stacks. Right return (to garden)3 bays; left bay is
the end of the west wing and has plinth, sill bands and full-height canted bay
with 12-pane sashes in chamfered surrounds and top cornice. South-east block
to right has plinth, 1st floor band, angle pilasters and eaves cornice on block
corbels; sash windows, some renewed, in raised chamfered surrounds.

Interior: 2 C18 fireplaces, one Gothick, in west wing. 2 re-set mid C18 Rococo
carved wood chimney pieces, said to have been brought from Wallington Hall.
Decorative plaster ceilings of c.1900. Cellar under west wing has stair
constructed of sills and lintels from C17 single-light windows.

The house stands on a medieval site; the present south-east block probably
replaces medieval work.


Listing NGR: NZ0806388619

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.