History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Giles

A Grade II* Listed Building in Netherwitton, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.2078 / 55°12'28"N

Longitude: -1.8419 / 1°50'30"W

OS Eastings: 410160

OS Northings: 590410

OS Grid: NZ101904

Mapcode National: GBR H8L6.1Y

Mapcode Global: WHC2G.PC3F

Entry Name: Church of St Giles

Listing Date: 20 October 1969

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1042909

English Heritage Legacy ID: 238367

Location: Netherwitton, Northumberland, NE61

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Netherwitton

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Netherwitton

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Longwitton

Listing Text

NETHERWITTON NETHERWITTON
NZ 19 SW
17/134 Church of St. Giles
20.lO.69
II*
Parish Church. Chancel perhaps C12 altered C15, nave rebuilt C18 and remodelled,
with addition of vestry, 1886. Squared stone, roughly shaped in chancel,
dressings; grey slate roof. Aisled 3-bay nave with south porch, chancel with
vestry on north. C19 work in free C14/C15 style. West end has 3-light window
with quatrefoil window over, flanked by stepped buttresses; C18 bellcote on
coped gable has round-headed opening, with imposts, semicircular cap and rusticated
obelisk finial. South nave wall has projecting porch with pointed double-chamfered
arch; 3-light window to right. North wall has 2 3-light windows. South chancel
wall shows inserted priest's door with flattened triangular head, in square
chamfered surround, lintel dated 1691. Flanking C19 2-light windows. North wall
has restored window. East end has C15 3-light window set high in the wall;
trefoil-headed lights, the central under ogee head, within 4-centred arch with
hoodmould. Raised armorial panels above, and to either side of head. C19 gable
coping with finial cross.

Interior: double-chamfered 3-bay nave arcades of 1864. Medieval chancel arch,
double-chamfered with chamfered hoodmould towards nave; inner order on semi-
octagonal responds with restored capitals and bases. C19 4-centred vestry door,
and an opening with timber lintel into organ chamber. Fittings mostly C19 and
later, except C13 or C14 font with circular bowl, shaft and moulded base, on
octagonal plinth. C14 female effigy, in 2 pieces but quite well preserved, on
north of sanctuary; small C14 or C15 cross slab to south. Large C15 cross slab
set in north wall of chancel, with armorial bearings. Set in east wall of vestry
two C12 chevron voussoirs and C12/13 cross slab head. Late Georgian panelled
dado in nave. Minton tiles in sanctuary.


Listing NGR: NZ1015990411

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.