This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.2083 / 55°12'29"N
Longitude: -1.8408 / 1°50'27"W
OS Eastings: 410225
OS Northings: 590464
OS Grid: NZ102904
Mapcode National: GBR H8L6.8R
Mapcode Global: WHC2G.PCL2
Entry Name: Netherwitton Hall
Listing Date: 6 May 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1042911
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238370
Location: Netherwitton, Northumberland, NE61
Civil Parish: Netherwitton
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Netherwitton
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
17/136 Netherwitton Hall
6 5 52
Country House, 1685 probably by Robert Trollop for Sir Nicholas Thornton,
incorporating C16 or earlier fabric to rear. Squared stone with dressings,
coursed rubble to rear; flat lead roof. Rectangular block 7 by 3 bays, with
2 earlier stair projections and various later additions to rear.
Front 3 storeys; central part-glazed door under radial fanlight in archivolt
beneath later Tuscan porch with fluted frieze and pediment. 12-pane sash
windows in architraves with scrolled broken triangular and segmental pediments
in changing rhythm to each floor. Central 1st floor window has broken pediment
holding sundial with its own similar pediment. 4 lead rainwater heads dated
1793 with initials W M and acanthus ornament. Rusticated open-arcaded parapet
has piers with ball finials. Left return has similar fenestration but different
architrave moulding; 2 trompe l'oeil windows to right. Plain slab with dogtooth
surround above central 1st floor window; lower section to left with blocked
circular opening. Right return similar. Rear elevation irregular; projecting
full-height stair turret to left of centre has flush-panelled door, in stone
surround with flat-pointed arch, in square frame; and blocked 2-light mullioned
windows. Renewed slab with Thornton arms and inscription ANNO REGNI EDWARD I
QUINTI. Second lower stair projection to right and a lower block with weathering
of high-pitched roof on wall behind, the site of former Roman Catholic Chapel.
To far left block of c.l900.
Interior: Entrance hall has late C16 or early C17 fireplace, perhaps re-set,
and C18 panelling. Several rooms have late C17 panelling, some re-set. Former
library has plasterwork of c.1770. Late C17 main stair; stone winder stair in
eastern turret. 1st floor drawing-room now subidivided into bedrooms. On 2nd
floor, priest's hole at rear of cupboard.
Listing NGR: NZ1021890464
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings