History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Cuthbert

A Grade II Listed Building in Allendale, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.8981 / 54°53'53"N

Longitude: -2.2543 / 2°15'15"W

OS Eastings: 383789

OS Northings: 555957

OS Grid: NY837559

Mapcode National: GBR DCPS.RZ

Mapcode Global: WHB2P.B4SW

Entry Name: Church of St Cuthbert

Listing Date: 15 April 1969

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1042941

English Heritage Legacy ID: 240198

Location: Allendale, Northumberland, NE47

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Allendale

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Allendale St Cuthbert

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Allendale Town

Listing Text

NY 8355 ALLENDALE MARKET PLACE(North side)
Allendale Town

24/78 Church of St. Cuthbert
15.4.69
GV II


Parish church on medieval site. 1874 by Austin & Johnson, except for lower
part of tower which survives from the church of 1807. Squared stone with
ashlar dressings, slate roofs. Aisled nave and chancel, west tower. Free
C14 style. West tower has 4 stepped stages; pointed south doorway with
hoodmould and stone above giving dates of rebuilding and restoration; paired
pointed openings to belfry, embattled parapet with pinnacles, pyramid roof
with vane. Aisle walls with windows,mostly of 2 lights,and stepped buttresses;
sundial at west end of south wall inscribed
HORA FUGIT 1842
LAT 54 50
(the latitude is cited as a reference to Allendale Town being geographically
the centre of Britain). Similar fenestration in chancel, 3-light east window
and C20 roof lights.

Interior: 4-bay nave arcades, chancel arch and 2-bay chancel arcades all in
C14 style with hollow-chamfered arches and moulded capitals. Simple pointed
tower arch of 1807. Fittings mostly later Cl9; elaborate reredos of yellow
Italian marble and mosaic work dated 1887. Glass in north aisle by Atkinson
brothers of Newcastle, 1906.


Listing NGR: NY8378955957

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.