This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.8975 / 54°53'50"N
Longitude: -2.253 / 2°15'10"W
OS Eastings: 383870
OS Northings: 555889
OS Grid: NY838558
Mapcode National: GBR DCQT.05
Mapcode Global: WHB2P.C5CC
Entry Name: Allendale Library
Listing Date: 23 August 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1042978
English Heritage Legacy ID: 240184
Location: Allendale, Northumberland, NE47
Civil Parish: Allendale
Built-Up Area: Allendale Town
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Allendale St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
In the entry for:
NY 8355 ALLENDALE DAWSON PLACE
24/64 House adjoining north
end of Allendale
The item and the description shall be amended to read:
Meeting Room adjoining
north end of
Chapel, later Sunday School, now meeting room. Early C19, probably first
quarter. Squared rubble with dressed door surrounds and window heads.
Concrete tile roof. Single cell structure but street front gives appearance
of two storeys, three bays. Ground floor has a pair of boarded doors flanked
by 16 pane sashes, three 16 pane sashes above. Rear wall shows 16 pane sash
to light the gallery on the left, and a larger one to right lighting the well
of the chapel. Gable wall with projecting stones left for bonding into an
built extension. Interior: severely plain room without features. Gallery
removed, roof structure hidden by modern suspended celing. History: This was
the Primitive Methodist Chapel in use previous to the construction of the
larger one adjoining it in 1878. This was an important area for Methodism in
the C19 with its many adherents from the local lead mines. The two chapels
form a visual and historic group.
ALLENDALE DAWSON PLACE
NY 8355 Allendale Town
24/64 Allendale Library
Chapel, now Library, dated 1878 over porch. Squared stone, raised ashlar
quoins and dressings, moulded corbels to eaves, fishscale slate roof, coped
gables with kneelers and finials. 1 storey, 5 bays. Right bay has gabled
porch projection with boarded door and fanlight with intersecting glazing
bars under chamfered pointed arch, paired pointed windows with inscribed
panel 'PRIMITIVE METHODIST' and date, above.
To left 4 pointed windows with intersecting glazing bars in chamfered surrounds
with hoodmoulds. Left return has two triplets of lancets under linked hoodmoulds
and small pointed window in gable.
Listing NGR: NY8387055889
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings