History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fallowfield House and Outbuilding to West

A Grade II Listed Building in Wall, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.0105 / 55°0'37"N

Longitude: -2.1114 / 2°6'41"W

OS Eastings: 392972

OS Northings: 568442

OS Grid: NY929684

Mapcode National: GBR FBPH.PP

Mapcode Global: WHB25.JBS7

Entry Name: Fallowfield House and Outbuilding to West

Listing Date: 24 May 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1042986

English Heritage Legacy ID: 240105

Location: Wall, Northumberland, NE46

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Wall

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: St Oswald-in-Lee with Bingfield

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Chollerford

Listing Text

WALL FALLOWFIELD
NY 96 NW
4/346 Fallowfield House
and outbuilding
to west

GV II

House. C17 remodelled mid-C18; internal alterations and rear wing 1928.
Coursed rubble, large on lower floors, with dressings; Welsh slate roof, stone
slates on outbuilding, white brick stacks. South elevation 3 storeys, 4
irregular bays. 3 steps to glazed door in bay 2; tripartite sashes to lower
floors except for 12-pane sashes above door and on 2nd floor. All windows
renewed; all openings to lower floors in raised stone surrounds; 2nd floor
windows in flush surrounds. Coped gables with moulded kneelers; end and ridge
stacks rebuilt on old bases. Single-storey 2-bay outbuilding:at right a boarded
door in moulded surround with cusped panels in spandrels of flattened triangular
head; and chamfered 3-light mullioned window; at left a margined sash. Rebuilt
ridge stack. Left return of house shows projecting stepped stack flanked by
12-pane sashes to 2nd floor, and right oval attic light cut in one stone.
Right return and rear show 2- and 3-light mullioned windows, some with hoodmoulds,
including 3-light transomed stair window; some possibly re-set. Rear wing with
12-pane sashes links to former outbuilding of c.1800, which shows 2 boarded
doors in alternating-block surrounds.

Interior: western ground floor room has large 4-centred arched fireplace with
contemporary foliate plaster bosses at rear (c.f. Ovingham Old Vicarage).
Eastern room has 2 fireplaces with moulded lintels harried on corbels, and good
C17 panelling; doorway to stair with 4-centred arch and hoodmould. Open-well
stair with closed string, barley-sugar balusters and moulded ramped handrail,
the newels consisting of groups of 4 balusters. Panelling and stair are said
to have been brought from Dilston Hall, in the mid-C18. Another 4-centred
doorway at 1st floor level; roof has principal-rafter collared trusses with
carpenters' marks.

Interior of outbuilding, reputedly a chapel, shows arched recess (now in lavatory)
said to be piscina. At west end an C18 fireplace with shouldered lintel, domed
recess for set pot and circular cast iron oven door.


Listing NGR: NY9297268442

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.