History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St George

A Grade II Listed Building in Wall, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.0158 / 55°0'56"N

Longitude: -2.1303 / 2°7'49"W

OS Eastings: 391762

OS Northings: 569031

OS Grid: NY917690

Mapcode National: GBR FBKF.LS

Mapcode Global: WHB25.76S5

Entry Name: Church of St George

Listing Date: 24 May 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1042991

English Heritage Legacy ID: 240119

Location: Wall, Northumberland, NE46

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Wall

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: St Oswald-in-Lee with Bingfield

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Chollerford

Listing Text

WALL THE GREEN
NY 9169 (Centre)
Wall Village

16/360 Church of St.
George

GV II

Church, 1895 by Hicks and Charlewood. Snecked stone with tooled-and-margined
dressings, including buttresses; Lakeland slate roof. Rectangular plan with
north-east organ chamber. Perpendicular style, based on Beltingham St. Cuthbert.
South elevation 6 bays: moulded plinth and sill string; stepped buttress bay
divisions, except between western bays, where there is a vertical-panelled door
under a moulded 3-centred arch in square frame with hoodmould. Windows of 3
trefoil-headed lights under 3-centred arches with hoodmoulds. Coped gables
with moulded gabled kneelers. East end shows 5-light panel-traceried window
and finial cross. West end shows dated dedication stone with cross fleury
beneath 4-light window, and quatrefoil light above; bellcote with ogee-headed
opening beneath cross-gabled coping and finial cross.

Interior: Double-chamfered arch to organ chamber, collar-beam roof with king-
struts and carved braces. Built-in pulpit lectern; canopied rood beam with
cross and pendant tracery. Panelled dado. Carved font.

The church is oriented north-south; directions are liturgical.


Listing NGR: NY9176269031

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.