History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sandhoe Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Sandhoe, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9907 / 54°59'26"N

Longitude: -2.0496 / 2°2'58"W

OS Eastings: 396923

OS Northings: 566238

OS Grid: NY969662

Mapcode National: GBR GB4Q.2R

Mapcode Global: WHB26.HT6D

Entry Name: Sandhoe Hall

Listing Date: 15 April 1969

Last Amended: 24 May 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1043019

English Heritage Legacy ID: 240078

Location: Sandhoe, Northumberland, NE46

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Sandhoe

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: St John Lee

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Acomb

Listing Text

SANDHOE SANDHOE VILLAGE
NY 96 NE (South side)

5/319 Sandhoe Hall
(previously listed as
15.4.69 Sandhoe House)

GV II

Country house. 1850 by John Dobson for Sir Rowland Errington, incorporating
part of earlier house. Squared stone with ashlar dressings; graduated Welsh
slate roofs. Irregular L-plan of main block and long north-west domestic wing.

Main south front 2 storeys and attics, four wide bays, the first and third
gabled. In third bay 6 steps to French doors in a one-storey projection with
canted corners and pierced parapet; 3 close-set windows above. Right bay has
2 windows, the others one; 2- and 4-light casements, those on ground-floor with
pointed-arched lights, those above mostly under hoodmoulds. Slit windows in
gables and a half-dormer in second bay. Plinth; string below coped parapet
with ball and spike finials. Coped gables; stacks with conjoined hexagonal
shafts. Left return shows 2-stage oriel above pointed-arched door; and 3-
storey service wing (possibly incorporating older masonry) with dormers and
sash windows, projecting on left. East entrance front 4 bays, the left two
gabled. One-storey porch, with arcaded sides and elaborately-shaped gable,
projects from first bay. Second gable is also shaped. Sashes and casements
in raised surrounds and an oculus between the 2 right first-floor windows.
Plain eaves; coped right gable and ridge stacks.

Interior: Drawing Room with rich plaster ceiling and heraldic stained glass;
similar glass in porch. closed well stair with segmental vault and ornamental
plasterwork.

There appear to be at least 3 building phases in the house, although none later
than 1860 when the 25" : 1 mile O.S. map shows the present plan. Earlier
estate maps suggest that the north-west wing is part of an older house, remodelled
in the mid-C19.


Listing NGR: NY9692366238

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.