History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chesters Museum

A Grade II* Listed Building in Humshaugh, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.0283 / 55°1'41"N

Longitude: -2.1398 / 2°8'23"W

OS Eastings: 391162

OS Northings: 570425

OS Grid: NY911704

Mapcode National: GBR FBH9.J9

Mapcode Global: WHB1Z.3WB3

Entry Name: Chesters Museum

Listing Date: 24 May 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1043022

English Heritage Legacy ID: 239983

Location: Humshaugh, Northumberland, NE46

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Humshaugh

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Warden

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Humshaugh

Listing Text

HUMSHAUGH B6319
NY 9170 (south side)

15/224 Chesters Museum

GV II*

Museum. Commissioned before 1895 by Nathaniel George Clayton, nephew of John Clayton
who owned the Roman site of Chesters and began the excavations; opened in 1903,
after the deaths of Nathaniel and his son John Bertram, for Mrs Nathaniel George
Clayton by R Norman Shaw. Coarse local sandstone, rock-faced and snecked, with
ashlar dressings. Graduated Lakeland slate roof with long glazed panels, ashlar
stack. 1 tall storey, 5 bays, with 2-bay west wing forming L-plan. Extended
pedimented west porch has segment-headed door of 6 fielded panels in rusticated
architrave, the upper voussoir-like rustications rising to bracketed stone cornice
hood. Cornice continues around porch which has narrow left bay with small window.
Quoins to porch and to all salient angles. Long elevations blank; windows in gable
ends. South end has 2 windows, 1 blocked, and an oculus above. Windows in
rusticated architraves with ovolo-moulded cills, friezes and cornices over; oculus
in architrave. Deeply-overhanging eaves on long oak braces resting on stone corbels;
chimney on gable peak. Eaves overhang even more on long elevations, the outer
edges supported on similar long braces. North gabe end has oculus and 1 window;
west end of wing has oculus, window and door. All openings except the north window
are in architraves and all but the oculi are rusticated. Interior: Entrance lobby
leads to main interior space with hammer-beamed boarded roof; similar roof in wing.
Corner fireplaces at west angles of main room and back-to-back in the L: architraved
openings with swell frieze and cornice, and corniced overmantel block. Good half-
glazed panelled internal doors and 6-panel back door in wing. Corbelled stone shelf,
around 3 outer walls of main room, inserted circa 1905 to hold Roman sculptured
pieces.


Listing NGR: NY9116270425

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.