History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Priory

A Grade II* Listed Building in Warbleton, East Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9393 / 50°56'21"N

Longitude: 0.3337 / 0°20'1"E

OS Eastings: 564061

OS Northings: 118135

OS Grid: TQ640181

Mapcode National: GBR NTQ.15N

Mapcode Global: FRA C6LM.FTP

Entry Name: The Priory

Listing Date: 30 August 1966

Last Amended: 26 March 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1043041

English Heritage Legacy ID: 295623

Location: Warbleton, Wealden, East Sussex, TN21

County: East Sussex

District: Wealden

Civil Parish: Warbleton

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Warbleton St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Dallington

Listing Text


RUSHLAKE GREEN
WARBLETON
The Priory Hotel
(formerly listed as
Priory Farmhouse)

TQ 61 NW 8/720

The address shall be amended to read

RUSHLAKE GREEN

TQ 61 NW 8/720 The Priory

II*(STAR)

The description should be amended to read

House, incorporating Abbot's Lodging. Immediately post Dissolution (1536) and
C1413. Ashlar sandstone re-used from monastic church to front pile, timber framed
with plaster in-fill, English bond red brick underbuild to 1412 rear, old tile
roofs. 2 storey, 3 bay, 2 cell plan to front pile, 2 storey 2 cell plan at
rear. Front pile has 2 ground floor 3-light, one first floor 2-light - and
one single light chamfered straight headed mullioned windows, C20 leaded casements.
One C20 first floor 3-light oak framed flush casement. Central re-used C15
2-centred gothic arch, chamfered, brick reveals. Hipped roof with gablets,
central brick stack. Both returns have single ground floor 4-light chamfered
mullioned and transomed casement windows. Chamfered plinth, set off buttress
at south-east. Rear wing of C1413 has C18 underbuild with 2 segmental arched
windows, 2 door openings, one blocked. First floor has close set studwork with
plaster infill, 4 sets of C20 casements in earlier unmoulded openings. Off-
centre in-built brick stack. Tile hung service additions at north west with
outshut roofs. Interior: front pile has lobby entrance plan with 2 heated
chambers, fireplaces with stone cheeks, chamfered wooden bresummers. Tiled
floor in room at south-east. Framed rear wall, with stairs in extra bay towards
C1413 build. Ridgeless through purlin roof with crude Queen post struts. C1413
pile of 2 cells, presumably single storey hall and kitchen, with framed internal
walls with passing braces. One first floor in situ post and panel partition.
3 bay double framed King post roof with lateral and transverse head braces,
with central girder supporting collars paired to each rafter, ridgeless with
through purlins. Stack originally in-built. A small priory of Augustinian
or Black Canons translated here from Hastings in 1413 by Sir John Pelham, dedicated
in 1417, granted at Dissolution in 1536 to Henry VIII's Attorney-General Sir
John Baker. Still in the inheritence off his descendants (1986).

------------------------------------

WARBLETON RUSHLAKE GREEN
TQ61 NW 8/720
The Priory
II * (star)

The 21st line of the description (6 from end) "3 bay double framed King
post roof, with lateral and transverse head braces.....'
should be replaced with
"3 bay double framed Crown post roof with lateral and transverse head
braces ..."

------------------------------------

WARBLETON RUSHLAKE GREEN
1.
5208
The Priory Hotel
(formerly listed as
Priory Farmhouse)
TQ 61 NW 8/720 30.8.66

II*


2.
The Augustinian Priory of the Holy Trinity, founded in Hastings at the end
of the C12 or beginning of the C13, was transferred to this site on land
provided by Sir John Pelham in 1413. Of the present L-shaped farmhouse,
the north wing is C15 and probably part of the Prior's Lodging. Timber-framed
building, the first floor of its east front close-studded and formerly jettied
but the ground floor has been underbuilt in red brick in C17. The west front
is of ashlar on ground floor and tile-hung above. Tiled roof. Casement
windows, with wooden mullions and diamond-shaped leaded panes. Kingpost
roof. The east wing dates from the C16 after the Dissolution. Ashlar. Hipped
tiled roof with sprocket eaves. Stone mullions to windows. C15 stone doorway,
inserted in C19.


Listing NGR: TQ6406118135

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.