History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Halland Park Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in East Hoathly with Halland, East Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9233 / 50°55'23"N

Longitude: 0.1491 / 0°8'56"E

OS Eastings: 551145

OS Northings: 115958

OS Grid: TQ511159

Mapcode National: GBR LR0.2HK

Mapcode Global: FRA C66N.MYB

Entry Name: Halland Park Farmhouse

Listing Date: 30 August 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1043102

English Heritage Legacy ID: 295459

Location: East Hoathly with Halland, Wealden, East Sussex, BN8

County: East Sussex

District: Wealden

Civil Parish: East Hoathly with Halland

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Laughton All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
East Hoathly

Listing Text

LAUGHTON SHORTGATE
1.
5208
Halland Park Farmhouse
TQ 51 NW 6/562 30.8.66

II


2.
In 1595 Sir Thomas Pelham built a mansion here known as Halland House which
succeeded Laughton Place as the principal residence of the Pelham family.
But after the death of the Duke of Newcastle in 1768 it was dismantled by
Lord Pelham, (qv 6/855). Immediately to the south-west of these remains is
an L-shaped farmhouse largely built by Lord Pelham about 1770 with materials
from the old house, though with some older work inside. Three storeys. Three
windows. Painted brick. Hipped tiled roof. Glazing bars intact. Inside
porch with pediment containing doorway in moulded architrave surround with
rectangular fanlight and flat hood over on brackets. Over the centre first
floor window is a triangular headed panel containing the Pelham arms and the
date 1595, the year in which Halland House was built. The L-wing behind of
red brick with a lower elevation and 3 windows facing south-west contains
older work than the main portion of the house and must have been some subsidiary
portion attached to Halland House.


Listing NGR: TQ5114515958

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.