This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8623 / 50°51'44"N
Longitude: 0.2116 / 0°12'41"E
OS Eastings: 555737
OS Northings: 109305
OS Grid: TQ557093
Mapcode National: GBR MT0.SD2
Mapcode Global: FRA C6BT.G8D
Entry Name: Priory Mill
Listing Date: 12 August 1981
Last Amended: 3 November 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1043323
English Heritage Legacy ID: 294968
Location: Arlington, Wealden, East Sussex, BN27
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Arlington
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Upper Dicker Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
ARLINGTON MILTON HIDE
TQ 50 NE
The Mill to the south west
of Michelham Priory
the entry shall be amended to read;
TQ 50 NE ARLINGTON MILTON HIDE
18/502D Priory Mill
Water mill. Mid C16 3 bay timber-framed building refronted
c1800. Exterior red brick with grey headers in English bond to
ground floor, first floor weatherboarded, including gable end
to east. Tiled roof, hipped to west. Two storeys; two windows.
First floor has pivoting sashes, ground floor has fixed
sashes. Central first floor plank door approached by wooden
steps. Underneath is a c1800 fixed casement. Rear elevation
has 2 openings with pintle hinges. Wooden water-wheel
installed in 1972 during restoration of the mill, the former
iron water-wheel of 1896 having been removed in 1924/5.
Interior has roof of side purlin and wind-braced construction
with raking queen strut and collar beam. Jowled posts and
curved windbraces. The sack hoist mechanism is the only early
feature to survive. The earliest record of a water mill at
Michelham Priory was in 1434. This building appears on an
estate map of 1667. [ROHAS Report no 1057 by David and Barbara
Martin. Michelham Priory Water Mill
ARLINGTON MILTON HIDE
The Mill to the south
west of Michelham Priory
TQ 50 NE 18/502D
C18. Two storeys. Two windows. Ground floor. Red brick, above weather-boarding.
Hipped tiled roof.
Probably C17 or earlier, refaced with red brick and grey headers alternately
in 1714. Hipped tiled roof. Some casement windows, some sash windows with
glazing bars intact. Two-storeyed gabled porch with a stone in the gable
inscribed with the initials M.G.A. and the date 1714. Brick chimney breast
on north wall.
Listing NGR: TQ5573609308
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings