This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8535 / 50°51'12"N
Longitude: 0.5596 / 0°33'34"E
OS Eastings: 580260
OS Northings: 109116
OS Grid: TQ802091
Mapcode National: GBR PX9.J8X
Mapcode Global: FRA D61V.CT9
Entry Name: Christchurch Church of England School East Wing
Listing Date: 10 October 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1043390
English Heritage Legacy ID: 294176
Location: Hastings, East Sussex, TN37
County: East Sussex
Electoral Ward/Division: Central St Leonards
Built-Up Area: Hastings
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Christ Church and St Mary Magdalen, St Leonards
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 15/01/2018
(Formerly listed as Christchurch, Church of England School, East Wing)
Former school, part earlier church. Comprises mid C19 church "purchased and enlarged" in 1896 when it was converted into a school. Built of snecked rubble above with Portland stone dressings. Slate roof.
The ground floor has the remains of the earlier church and the first floor comprises the enlargements of 1896. Front elevation has projecting gable to left with cross-shaped saddlestone and triple lancet windows flanked by two gabled porches with buttresses and arched doorcases (one blocked). To the right is an octagonal turret with plaque recording works of 1896 and large gabled porch to right with arched doorcase.
The first floor is of the 1896 build and has two windows to the left side and a four-light pointed arched mullioned. and transomed window with gabled dormer above and to the right side a large arched window with five-light pointed arched mullioned and transomed window in large gable with wide chimney stack. Stone band under parapet continues and window transom and band between floors.
Right side elevation has ground floor with four arched windows with intersecting heads and buttresses between. The first floor windows are identical to those on the front elevation. Left side elevation has four arched windows to ground floor with two buttresses and three flying buttresses. First floor has a gable with one large arched five light mullioned and transomed window. Attached to the rear is a large sandstone west wing of 1872 which is not of special interest.
Listing NGR: TQ8026009116
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings