This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8538 / 50°51'13"N
Longitude: 0.5533 / 0°33'11"E
OS Eastings: 579812
OS Northings: 109139
OS Grid: TQ798091
Mapcode National: GBR PX9.GNV
Mapcode Global: FRA D61V.3CZ
Entry Name: Gloucester Lodge
Listing Date: 14 September 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1043417
English Heritage Legacy ID: 294044
Location: Hastings, East Sussex, TN38
County: East Sussex
District Council Ward: Maze Hill
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: St Leonards-on-Sea St Leonard and St Ethelburga
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 7909 21/206
1830. By James Burton, probably designed by Decimus Burton, as part of the original
lay-out of St Leonards. L-shaped house in Tudor/gothic style. Stuccoed. 3 storeys.
3 windows. The main front faces south-east across the original subscription Gardens,
now St Leonards Gardens. On this side the house stands on a terrace faced with
sandstone rusticated ashlar which is built out in front of it and contains a cellar.
The front is flanked by stepped buttresses rising nearly the whole height of the
elevation. Cornice and castellated parapet, 1st floor oriel window of 6 lights
with mullions and transom. 2nd floor three 2-light casements all with dripmoulds
over. Verandah on the ground floor of wrought iron and 2-light casmements. Circular
tower rising from the flat roof in the north-west angle, surmounted by a flagpole
and a weathervane. The entrance is on the north side with enclosea porch with
moulded 4-centred arch doorway with dripmould. Chimneys with group of twisted
Formerly named the Castellated Villa but changed to Gloucester Lodge in honour
of Princess Sophia Matilda of Gloucester who lived here in 1831.
Listing NGR: TQ7981209139
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings