This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8876 / 50°53'15"N
Longitude: 0.5621 / 0°33'43"E
OS Eastings: 580304
OS Northings: 112918
OS Grid: TQ803129
Mapcode National: GBR PWX.BXY
Mapcode Global: FRA D62R.DV0
Entry Name: Holmhurst St Mary's School
Listing Date: 14 September 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1043422
English Heritage Legacy ID: 294053
Location: Hastings, East Sussex, TN37
County: East Sussex
District Council Ward: Conquest
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Hollington St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
St Mary's School
TQ 81 SW 2/591
Home of Augustus J C Hare from 1860 till his death. Formerly known as Little Ridge,
Hare renamed it Holmhurst, and it is mentioned frequently in "Memories of My Life"
by A J C flare.
The original part of the building appears to be late C18 or early C19, ashlar with
hipped slate roof, rectangular on plan, 2 storeys, 3 windows, flush keyblocks,
3 ground floor Fench windows, 3 1st floor casements all with glazing bars, wide
band at 1st floor cill level. To right (north) a larger wing of circa 1840 with
alterations and additions of 1898 by A J C Hare, ashlar, gable ended slate roof,
2 storeys, casement windows, band at floor level, the 1898 additions include a
stone canted bay and a large 2 storeyed gabled bay with moulded coping, large 1st
floor window with 5 Tudor-headed lights and panel above with initials A. J. C.
H., moulded string course, pedimented sundial to right with initials AJCH and
date 1897, chimney stack with octagonal shafts. In front (east) is a stone terrace
with flight of shaped steps at centre with pair of obelisks at top, to right of
terrace is stone 4-centred archway with very large pierced ogee-shaped finial on
top in stone. The entrance front (north west) is of 1898 date with canted bays
and stone porch with 4-centred arch and niches with carved figures, double gabled
end with stone oriel, 2 large octagonal chimneys rising up wall. Interior fragments
of C16 panelling and carved wall posts in hall (from earlier building on this site
or probably imported?). C20 additions to west.
Listing NGR: TQ8030412918
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings