History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Holy Trinity

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hastings, East Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8551 / 50°51'18"N

Longitude: 0.5768 / 0°34'36"E

OS Eastings: 581461

OS Northings: 109340

OS Grid: TQ814093

Mapcode National: GBR PXB.8ND

Mapcode Global: FRA D63V.0JW

Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 14 September 1976

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1043423

English Heritage Legacy ID: 294055

Location: Hastings, East Sussex, TN34

County: East Sussex

District: Hastings

Town: Hastings

District Council Ward: Castle

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Hastings Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
St. Leonards

Listing Text

In the entry for;


TQ 8109 SW HASTINGS ROBERTSON STREET
(north side)
12/479
Church of the Holy Trinity
C

the grade shall be amended to read; II* (star).

------------------------------------

ROBERTSON STREET
1.
5204
(North Side)
Church of the Holy Trinity
TQ 8109 SW 12/479
C
2.
1851-9 by S S Teulon. Early English/Decorated style. Coursed rubble with dressed
stone details. Steeply-pitched tiled roof with gabled ends. Comprising, Nave,
south aisle, chancel and vestry. The west end 2 gables, the nave with large 6-light
west window with geometric tracery, to right of which is west doorway to end of
south aisle with very tall moulded arch with large traceried tympanum, and rose
window above. North side with 6 cross-gables and 3-light geometric traceried windows.
Chancel with semi-octagonal apse with 3-light traceried windows between buttresses
and gablets over passing through trefoil-pierced parapet, the north chancel window
has complicated intersecting geometric tracery. To west of chancel almost detached
is a small hexagonal vestry of 1892 with ogee arch windows and quatrefoil panelled
parapet with pinnacles. On east end of south aisle is large entrance porch with
hipped roof and very tall moulded arch with dripmould and massive cubic impost
blocks, it has heavy traceried tympanum with large sign of the Trinity, a tower
was designed to be built on the porch but was not executed. Furnishings - round
font with carved flowers and leaves, albaster pulpit.


Listing NGR: TQ8146109340

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.