This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8569 / 50°51'24"N
Longitude: 0.5941 / 0°35'38"E
OS Eastings: 582678
OS Northings: 109578
OS Grid: TQ826095
Mapcode National: GBR QYP.714
Mapcode Global: FRA D64T.TJD
Entry Name: East Hill House
Listing Date: 19 January 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1043435
English Heritage Legacy ID: 294082
Location: Hastings, East Sussex, TN34
County: East Sussex
Electoral Ward/Division: Old Hastings
Built-Up Area: Hastings
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Hastings St Clement and All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
(East Hill House)
TQ 8209 NE 8/83 19.1.51.
Late C18/early C19. The east front facing street is of less interest: stuccoed,
parapet, 3 storeys, 3 windows, irregular, sashes mostly with glazing bars, Victorian
area railings, plaque inscribed "HRH The Duke of Sussex with Lady Augusta Murray
and Colonel D'Este resided here in the summer of 1794". A better west elevation
overlooking town: stuccoed, parapet, new tiled roof, 4 storeys, 3 windows, 2 full-height
4-storey segmental bowed bays of 3-light sashes, glazing bars intact throughout.
1st floor doorway between and up 12 steps (with plain but original iron railings)
as the level of the ground is higher on the east side then on the west. This doorway
has fluted Ionic pilasters, modillion pediment and pulvinated frieze, rectangular
fanlight with intersecting glazing bars, and 6-panel door. Central sash windows
on floors above.
Nos 1 to 13 (consec) form a group, of which Nos 1 to 6 and Nos 9 to 12 are of
local interest only.
Listing NGR: TQ8267809578
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings