History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Hastings House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hastings, East Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8604 / 50°51'37"N

Longitude: 0.5953 / 0°35'43"E

OS Eastings: 582746

OS Northings: 109970

OS Grid: TQ827099

Mapcode National: GBR QYH.TKY

Mapcode Global: FRA D64T.MRH

Entry Name: Old Hastings House

Listing Date: 19 January 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1043462

English Heritage Legacy ID: 293954

Location: Hastings, East Sussex, TN34

County: East Sussex

District: Hastings

Town: Hastings

District Council Ward: Old Hastings

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Hastings St Clement and All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Hastings

Listing Text

HIGH STREET
1.
5204
(North West Side)
Old Hastings House
TQ 8209 NE 8/57 19.1.51.
II* GV
2.
Early-mid C18 mansion. Front brick with chamfered stone quoins. Parapet with
stone coping. Slate and tiled hipped roofs. 3 storeys. 7 closely spaced windows
with flat brick arches, all sashes without glazing bars. Central porch with Tuscan
columns supporting entablature, glazed door and rectangular fanlight. Set back
on right carriageways above rendered, one sash window, tile roof with gable end.
Wing at rear facing south-west, 3 tall 1st floor sashes with ornate iron balcony
and canopy. Attached to south corner is late C19 square conservatory with splayed
angles, pyramidal roof with ogee-domed lantern. Interior: entrance hall with bolection-
moulded panelling, rooms with wooden cornices, good contemporary staircase. On
outside are tablets to General Murray, Jurat of Hastings who was with General Wolfe
at Quebec, and to Coventry Patmore, poet, who lived here from 1873-1891. John
Collier (1685-1660) mayor of Hastings also lived here. Formerly known as The Mansion,
renamed Old Hastings House 1892.

Old Hastings House and its garden walls and gates forms a group with Torfield House.


Listing NGR: TQ8274609970

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.