This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8567 / 50°51'24"N
Longitude: 0.591 / 0°35'27"E
OS Eastings: 582455
OS Northings: 109550
OS Grid: TQ824095
Mapcode National: GBR QYP.67S
Mapcode Global: FRA D64T.S3K
Entry Name: 57, High Street
Listing Date: 14 September 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1043486
English Heritage Legacy ID: 293909
Location: Hastings, East Sussex, TN34
County: East Sussex
Electoral Ward/Division: Old Hastings
Built-Up Area: Hastings
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Hastings St Clement and All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
(South East Side)
TQ 8209 NW 7/25B
C18. Front, stuccoed brick, brick exposed at right-hand return. Parapet. 2 storeys
and attic ground floor large Victorian shop front with fluted slender columns supporting
fascia with modillion cornice and plate glass between. 1st floor 3 windows, late
C19 sashes without glazing bars. 2 flat roof dormers behind parapet. Steep-pitched
tile roof. Rear wings, one, 3 storeys and attic, brick, gable ended, probably
early C18, the other 2 storeys, brick, hipped tile roof, probably early C18.
Blue plaque on front - "General Sir John Moore who fell at Corunna was billeted
here in 1805". Interior: C18 staircase with square balusters, moulded string and
moulded hand rail. 1st floor room with fielded panelling and cornice now boarded
over. Several C17 panelled doors. Built over site of earlier building with stone
walling in cellars.
All the listed buildings in the High Street up to and including No 118
form a group.
Listing NGR: TQ8245509550
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings