This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7545 / 50°45'16"N
Longitude: 0.2693 / 0°16'9"E
OS Eastings: 560167
OS Northings: 97444
OS Grid: TV601974
Mapcode National: GBR MVF.NWL
Mapcode Global: FRA C7G2.SX5
Entry Name: Main Block and Chapel of All Saints Hospital
Listing Date: 21 November 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1043617
English Heritage Legacy ID: 293624
Location: Eastbourne, East Sussex, BN20
County: East Sussex
District Council Ward: Meads
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Eastbourne St John,Meads
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 10/01/2013
TV 69 NW
Main Block and Chapel of All Saints Hospital
Built between 1867 and 1874 to the designs of Henry Woodyer. It was built as a
convalescent hospital by the Anglican order of All Saints' Sisters of the Poor.
Buildings form a roughly cruciform shape. 2 storeys and attics built of brown brick
with stone dressings and tiled roof. Central portion of 4 bays with 2 wings each
of 7 bays having buttresses, traceried windows and octagonal stair turrets.
Half-hipped dormers. Projecting wing attached to the centre of the south elevation
has double or triple traceried heads and some diaper patterned black brickwork.
Brick and stone 2 storied entrances set diagonally into angles between central projection and wings, having niches with statues of saints.
Front elevation of projections has arcading on ground floor and 5 bay arcaded balcony
with quatrefoil balustrading to 1st floor.
The attached hospital chapel built in 1874 is apsidal-ended and has a bellcote. 6
bay nave with buttresses. It has a fine and complete High Victorian interior with
polychromatic brickwork and encaustic tiled floors. The reredos behind the High
Altar was painted by Julius Frank of Munich and some of the stained glass is of C19
The central east window is surrounded by stone figures of Saints in niches. Contemporary roof with scissor bracketing.
West gallery approached by a stone staircase outside the chapel used by the Sisters
for the recitation of their "offices".
Listing NGR: TV6016797444
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings