History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Eastbourne Town Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Eastbourne, East Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7666 / 50°45'59"N

Longitude: 0.2777 / 0°16'39"E

OS Eastings: 560719

OS Northings: 98809

OS Grid: TV607988

Mapcode National: GBR MV7.YV7

Mapcode Global: FRA C7G2.403

Entry Name: Eastbourne Town Hall

Listing Date: 24 February 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1043621

English Heritage Legacy ID: 293630

Location: Eastbourne, East Sussex, BN21

County: East Sussex

District: Eastbourne

Town: Eastbourne

Electoral Ward/Division: Upperton

Built-Up Area: Eastbourne

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Eastbourne St Saviour and St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Eastbourne

Listing Text

EASTBOURNE GROVE ROAD
TV6098
7/10006 Eastbourne Town Hall

II

Town Hall. Designed after a competition by the Birmingham architect W
Tadman-Faulkes in 1880, foundation stone laid on October 9th 1884 and building
opened on October 20th 1886. Clock by Gillett and Johnson installed in 1892. Free
Renaissance style. An asymmetrical building in red brick with moulded brick
decorations, Portland stone dressings and slate roof with 3 remaining brick
chimneystacks. Two storeys and attics; 16 windows. Mainly mullioned and transomed
casements. The principal feature of the building is the off-central 130 feet high clock
tower in the 6th bay from the left. The bay projects with triple mullioned and
transomed casement to first floor with Diocletian window above, flanked by moulded
brick pilasters and surmounted by panelled parapet with stone obelisk-shaped finials.
wooden double door and flight of steps to street. Stone portico with 4 stone piers,
balustrade with attached high relief shield and 4 partially gadrooned urns was not part
of the original design. The clock tower is of 2 stages, the lower with mullioned and
transomed casement, the upper with paired round-headed opening. Four pedimented
clock faces flanked by pilasters and elongated dome with finial. To the right of the
clock tower is a wing of 2 storeys and attics 7 windows. This comprises alternate triple
windows with pediments on ground floor and Diocletian windows to attic and single
windows, divided by pilasters and with decorated aprons below ground floor. Three
pedimented features with round-headed blank arches and flanked by stone urns
conceal chimneystacks. Elaborate carved double doors in moulded architrave with
rectangular fanlight and moulded cornice with blank shield to end bay on right. The
right end terminates in a pavilion-like projection of 3 bays. this has a mansard roof
with cast iron cage for flagpole and central round-headed pedimented feature to
parapet. Central paired window, flanked by single windows with pediment to lower
floor windows. Central doorcase, similar to other two. To the left of the clock tower
is a wing of 2 storeys and attics 4 windows. The two central windows are triple
mullioned and transomed windows, the rest double, with pediments to ground floor
windows and aprons below. Pilasters between windows. Two central windows have
pedimented dormers, end windows are oval. Left end terminates in pavilion-like
projection of one bay. Attic floor is canted under mansard roof with mullioned and
transomed window, first floor has 4-light oriel and there are 2 paired mullioned and
transomed windows to the ground floor with aprons below. Pilasters at each end.
Interior includes original Council Chamber with joinery including panelling at dado
level. fielded above, strapwork design above this and guilloche panels and swags to
cornice. Elaborate curved pediments to doorcases and dais with pilastered screen.
The design for this building was so costly that the board referred the plans to Henry
Currey. He voted for the prizewinning design which cost 40,000 pounds.
(See "BOE Sussex" p487.)


Listing NGR: TV6071998809

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.