This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7742 / 50°46'27"N
Longitude: 0.3008 / 0°18'2"E
OS Eastings: 562319
OS Northings: 99708
OS Grid: TV623997
Mapcode National: GBR MV8.BWC
Mapcode Global: FRA C7J1.F05
Entry Name: The Redoubt Fort
Listing Date: 27 May 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1043662
English Heritage Legacy ID: 293531
Location: Eastbourne, East Sussex, BN22
County: East Sussex
District Council Ward: Devonshire
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Eastbourne Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
1065 The Redoubt Fort
TV 6299 1/34 27.5.49.
Built in 1806 as part of the same series of defences as the Martello Tower.
This is rather a curiosity. It consists of 2 concentric circular brick walls
with a dry moat between them. The inner wall is crenallated with a raised
platform behind it, beneath which is a series of arches or recesses that
houses stores and men as a magazine and barracks combined. In the centre
is a circular grassed open space. During the 1939/45 war this fort was
again used for defence purposes and some of the openings in the inner wall
were strengthened by the construction of pill boxes and look outs.
Listing NGR: TV6231999708
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings