This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8722 / 50°52'20"N
Longitude: 0.0094 / 0°0'33"E
OS Eastings: 541478
OS Northings: 110005
OS Grid: TQ414100
Mapcode National: GBR KQ2.95Q
Mapcode Global: FRA B6XS.MH3
Entry Name: Pelham House and Wall to South
Listing Date: 25 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1043747
English Heritage Legacy ID: 293341
Location: Lewes, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Lewes
Built-Up Area: Lewes
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Lewes St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 4110 SW & SE LEWES ST ANDREW'S LANE
TQ 4109 NW & NE (west side)
9/355, 10/355, 14/355 &
15/355 Pelham House and wall
House. C16, enlarged in mid C18 and early C19. Red brick, partly
rendered. Moulded wooden eaves cornice to hipped slate roofs with four
central brick stacks, paired behind main ridge. Central flat-headed
dormer to north and three to east. North front: U-plan. 2 storeys and
attics. Regular 7 window front, with 3 windows in deep narrow central
rendered recess with large central arched staircase in central. Glazing
bar sashes. Recess filled on ground floor with central doorway.
Panelled door with arched reveals, wreathed and radiating fanlight and
moulded architrave with flat cornice hood and pulvinated frieze over.
Large cast-iron lamp on curving brackets over. Various extensions on
ground floor in front of right wing and large C20 brick extensions to
right side. East front: Rendered to right and red brick to left with
moulded stone cornice to left only. Slight projection to left of centre
and deep projecting wing at extreme left. 4 bays with 1 bay to left of
break. Blank end to wing. South front: 2 storeys and attic with deep
moulded cornice. 5 window front with deeply projecting wings and shallow
canted projections in centre and in re-entrant angles with wings.
Glazing bar sashes in moulded surrounds, in centre of first floor slightly
deeper, in outer bays of ground floor with triangular pediments over.
Wide arched stuccoed panels on ground floor of canted projections tp
left and right of centre, containing tripartite French sashes. Central
entrance with glazed doors in arched surround with fanlight, all in
moulded frame with triangular pediment over. Entrances also in re-
entrant angles of projecting wings. Interior: Staircase - single flight
with quarter-turn at foot. Plain balusters, cast-iron newel-posts and
wooden handrail with wreath at foot of staircase. Hall - double columns
dividing hall from vestibule. Committee Room 3 - (The Old Dining Room).
Carved panelling of circa 1579. Wood panelling with fluted Corinthian
pilasters, rather low, to cornice with carved heads and herms over.
Stone chimney-piece of C18 with double arcaded wooden overmantel with
fan lunettes and the arms of the brothers Henry and George Goring.
George Goring, for whom the house was built, later had Danny at Hassocks
built for him and it is conceivable that Pelham House was an earlier
work of the same bricklayer. It is now the headquarters of East Sussex
County Council. Wall 30 yards long and 12 feet high extends to south from
south east corner of east front. Flint with red brick bands and butt-
resses and brick, flint and stone coping.
Listing NGR: TQ4147810005
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings