History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Law Courts

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lewes, East Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8732 / 50°52'23"N

Longitude: 0.0098 / 0°0'35"E

OS Eastings: 541502

OS Northings: 110114

OS Grid: TQ415101

Mapcode National: GBR KQ2.39R

Mapcode Global: FRA B6XS.MM1

Entry Name: Law Courts

Listing Date: 25 February 1952

Last Amended: 29 October 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1043780

English Heritage Legacy ID: 293225

Location: Lewes, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7

County: East Sussex

District: Lewes

Civil Parish: Lewes

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: St John sub-Castro, Lewes

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Lewes

Listing Text

TQ 4110 SW & TQ 4110 SE LEWES HIGH STREET
9/243 & 10/243 (north side)

25.2.52 Law Courts, (formerly listed
as County Hall)

GV II*

County Hall, now law courts. 1808-1812 by John Johnson, extended and converted
into courts in later C19. Portland stone with slate roof. Main block framed
by slightly projecting wings with recessed wing to right. 2 storeys with
mezzanine over first floor. Tall plinth to rusticated ground floor. Deep
platband over ground floor. Bracketted cornice to roof with central dormer
masked by frame carrying Royal Arms. 7 windows in 1 - 3 - 1 - 2 rhythm,
the two bays to the right a later C19 extension in similar style but set back
from the main front. Casement windows in outer bays of main block on 2nd floor,
in raised and moulded square surrounds. 3 panels in centre with Coade stone
plaques of Wisdom, Justice and Mercy, designed by Johnson. Tall transom
and mullion wood-framed windows on first floors in raised and moulded surrounds,
those in outer bays with triangular pediments, those in the central 3 bays with
cornice hoods on small brackets over entablatures with rosette decoration.
Blank balustraded panels in platband under first floor windows. Single
glazing bar sashes with rusticated gauged heads in outer bays. 5 bay Doric
columnar screen on ground floor of recess, the-central 3 bays recessed behind,
the outer built forward to screen with rusticated walling and single glazing
bar sashes on each side. 3 arched doorways to rear in centre with doubled
half-glazed doors and large radiating fanlights, separated by attached half-
columns. Iron spearhead gates to the 3 bays of the screen. Steps up to
screen from street and also to the doorways behind. Large square glazed lantern
hanging from central intercolumniation of screen. Interior: Hall; 2 large
Doric columns supporting entablature acting as screen. Staircase behind hall;
single flight stair with cast-iron baluster and wooden rail. Court rooms Nos
1 & 2: basically identical. Mid - late C19 interiors top-lit with coved
ceilings and large rectangular area above, all with Italianate decoration.
Gallery with balustrade on deep volute brackets. French-influenced back to
bench with coved hood to Judge's seat. See R.F. Dell, The Building of the
County Hall, Sussex Archaelogical Collections, c, 1962.


Listing NGR: TQ4150210114

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.