History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barbican House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lewes, East Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8726 / 50°52'21"N

Longitude: 0.0084 / 0°0'30"E

OS Eastings: 541407

OS Northings: 110042

OS Grid: TQ414100

Mapcode National: GBR KQ2.8XM

Mapcode Global: FRA B6XS.M2W

Entry Name: Barbican House

Listing Date: 25 February 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1043818

English Heritage Legacy ID: 293218

Location: Lewes, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7

County: East Sussex

District: Lewes

Civil Parish: Lewes

Built-Up Area: Lewes

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Lewes St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Lewes

Listing Text

TQ 4110 SW LEWES HIGH STREET
9/237 (north side)

25.2.52 No 169 (Barbican House)

GV II*

House, now museum. Late C16 with later C17 and early C18 alterations,
refronted in mid C18. Red brick with cement plinth, red brick dressings, plat
bands and moulded cornice and parapet to plain tiled hipped roof. Tall end
stacks, on parapet at left end. 3 storeys and basement; regular 5 window
front, sashes without glazing bars, those on second floor shorter than those
below. Central entrance with round arch on antae and taller outer Doric columns
supporting entablature hood. Panelled door with Gothick-glazed fanlight.
Two segment-headed windows breaking into plinth above basements. Left
return front, facing Castle Gate, canted in centre with 3 - 2 windows, those
in extreme right-hand bay blind. Tripartite sash breaking through parapet
in former hoist housing to right. Interior: Roofs; Dragon post for
gable jetty in library on second floor. Most roofs rebuilt in Cl7 or early
C18. Ground-floor room with moulded fireplace with Tudor-arched head and
inscribed IMH 1579,(John and Mary Holmwood). Iron-age room; Fireplace late
C17, with tapering pilasters, acanthus volute brackets and floral decorated
frieze. Oak room; Late C16 panelling, some carved. Tudor-arched stone
fireplace with moulded soffit and spandrels. First-floor rooms with further
C16 or early C17 panelling, the room to the front with fielded panelling of
c. 1710. Early C18 stair with open ramped rail and turned column-on-vase
balusters with square knops. L-shape with short lowest flight. Panelled
dado. Underside of flight above plastered as is ceiling of first-floor
landing. Upper part of stairs late Cl7 with wide open spiral balusters.


Listing NGR: TQ4140310050

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.