History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Westgate Chapel

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lewes, East Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8718 / 50°52'18"N

Longitude: 0.0067 / 0°0'24"E

OS Eastings: 541293

OS Northings: 109954

OS Grid: TQ412099

Mapcode National: GBR KQ2.8HR

Mapcode Global: FRA B6XS.LG5

Entry Name: Westgate Chapel

Listing Date: 25 February 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1043839

English Heritage Legacy ID: 293164

Location: Lewes, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7

County: East Sussex

District: Lewes

Civil Parish: Lewes

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Lewes St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Lewes

Listing Text

In the entry for

TQ 4109 NW LEWES HIGH STREET
14/182 (south side)

25.2.52 Westgate Chapel

"Wooden door to right is round headed stone arch surround" shall be added to
the description, after the last sentence in the ninth row, before "Interior".

------------------------------------

TQ 4109 NW LEWES HIGH STREET
14/182 (south side)

25.2.52 Westgate Chapel

GV II*

Chapel. 1583, converted 1698, altered and restored in C19. Timber-
framed. Knapped flint cladding on high plinth with chamfered stone plinth
band. Tilehung above to righthand side of east end. Part tilehung and
part plastered entrance front to north. North front: Doorway in red
brick porch with paired half-glazed doors and flat hood on console brackets
over. Plaque over porch recording origin of chapel. East front:
Two 6-light chamfered transom and mullion windows on east end that to right
surrounded by tilehanging and wood, that to left stone with three-light
chamfered mullion window above. Plain tiled roofs. Interior:
Main chapel: High dado panelling with four recessed arches on tall round
(probably wooden) columns to north. That at right open below impost level,
centre pair with tall three-light cavetto-mullioned diamond-lattice windows
lighting room beyond. Tall six-light cavetto-mullioned diamond-latticed windows
at east and west ends and two on south side. Late C19 organ in recess next
to sanctuary. C19 carved panelled pulpit on right of sanctuary. Arched
recess above dado panelling on south side wall, original position of pulpit
prior to 1913. Moulded stone octagonal font on octagonal stem. Church
hall: Dado panelling, C19. Two heavy beams on wooden brackets, supported at
the south by the columns. The hall and vestibule were divided from the
chapel in 1915. Small panelled and be-bookshelved minister's room adjoining
on south side.


Listing NGR: TQ4128509955

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.