This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8739 / 50°52'25"N
Longitude: 0.0137 / 0°0'49"E
OS Eastings: 541773
OS Northings: 110194
OS Grid: TQ417101
Mapcode National: GBR KQ2.48F
Mapcode Global: FRA B6XS.P4H
Entry Name: 17, High Street
Listing Date: 29 October 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1043860
English Heritage Legacy ID: 293115
Location: Lewes, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Lewes
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Lewes St Thomas at Cliffe with Lewes All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 4110 SE LEWES HIGH STREET
10/133 (south side)
House. 1874. Stuccoed with wide first-floor band with moulded string
above and cornice below and modillioned cornice to balustraded parapet, hiding
roof. 2 storeys and basement; regular 3 window front. Large casement windows
on first floor with transom lights in raised surrounds with pediments on volute
brackets, segmental in outer, triangular in inner bays, all with raised panels
below. Round-arched windows on ground floor with keystones and bracketted cills,
sashes without glazing bars. Central panelled door with overlight in recessed
and rusticated surround. Doric columns flanking carrying entablature blocks,
with Doric pilasters marking outer extremities of slightly projecting door
surround. 5 steps up to door with flanking balustrades down to low square piers.
Balustrades to either side with flanking piers. Area, with one glazing bar sash,
to left only. Built for the Lewes Savings Bank; now the Oddfellows Hall.
Listing NGR: TQ4177510192
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings