This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8747 / 50°52'28"N
Longitude: 0.0166 / 0°0'59"E
OS Eastings: 541978
OS Northings: 110289
OS Grid: TQ419102
Mapcode National: GBR KQ2.50G
Mapcode Global: FRA B6XS.J9M
Entry Name: Harvey's Brewery
Listing Date: 29 October 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1043864
English Heritage Legacy ID: 293022
Location: Lewes, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Lewes
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Lewes St Thomas at Cliffe with Lewes All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
In the entry for
TQ 4110 SE LEWES CLIFFE HIGH STREET
The description shall be amended to read by adding as last sentence - "NB: Two-
storey extension recently erected on to west face of hoist house".
TQ 4110 SE LEWES CLIFFE HIGH STREET
10/43 (north side)
Brewery. Early C19, almost completely remodelled by William Bradford circa
1881, with semi-continuous alterations of a minor nature since, particularly
internal. Red brick with orange dressings, toothed impost bands on
ground floor and between ground and first floors and moulded cornice-type
impost-band on first floor. Moulded brick cornices to plain tiled roofs.
Main block to left of centre with four-storey tower on righthand part.
Cornice above third stage to louvred wooden fourth stage with board
reading HARVEYS to west. Slightly arched heads to individual louvres,
4 X 5, with steep hipped roof with bellcast, very short ridge and double
conjoined finial with weather-vane to west. Weather-vane marked 1626
found during excavations for foundations in 1881. Three storeys to left
with parapet-gabled third stage, added and recessed. Irregular fenestration
of two windows on third floor, 2 on second floor and 2 on ground floor,
symmetrically disposed about a wide arched entrance with double doors and
arched light. All windows segment-headed, except those on ground floor,
and with large iron casements with glazing bars and nodal bosses. Single
sash in third floor addition to left. Two-storey block to left with
segmental arch on ground floor. Doubled half-glazed doors in centre with
half-glazed outer panels. Glazed top-lights with large inset fanlight over
doors. Cantilevered wide octagonal bay above with tile-hanging below
timber-framing with brick infill. Plain casements on canted sides and on
centre of front face with deep glazed and leaded top lights of stained and
bottle bottom glass. Window on cant to right with louvred shutter.
Panelled wooden cornice with small glazed lights inset to hipped roof.
Block continues to right, obscured by later additions on ground floor but
with the original windows with iron glazing and nodal bosses above.
Additions to left and behind as well as projecting towards the west. Tall
octagonal brick tapering chimney in angle; the top third has been rebuilt
with an oversailing cornice. 11 iron straps surround the chimney which
sits on a stone bolection-moulded plinth. Hoist-house on right corner of main
tower, timber-framed and panelled below with shouldered arched glazing above.
Bracketted cornice with panelling and glazed roundels. 2-storey 5 bay wing
to right with 4 small iron glazed and nodal bossed windows on first floor
and door in second bay from right. Single storey extensions on ground
floor of no special interest, extending as a canopy underneath the hoist-
house. Interior: Board Room. Mid-C19 Italianate fireplace. Malt
store. Malt mill in place. Tower hoist. Mash tun room. Mash tun in
place. Steam engine survives though no longer used commercially;
Pontifex and Wood, Shoe Lane, London. Single cylinder horizontal engine.
The designs by William Bradford for the Brewery were published in the
Brewer's Journal, 15:xi:1881, including a perspective.
Listing NGR: TQ4197810289
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings