This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.876 / 50°52'33"N
Longitude: 0.0094 / 0°0'33"E
OS Eastings: 541468
OS Northings: 110426
OS Grid: TQ414104
Mapcode National: GBR KPW.WR6
Mapcode Global: FRA B6XS.FHM
Entry Name: Church of St John Sub Castro
Listing Date: 16 March 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1043886
English Heritage Legacy ID: 292973
Location: Lewes, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Lewes
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: St John sub-Castro, Lewes
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 4110 SW LEWES ABINGER PLACE
9/2 (north side)
16.3.70 Church of St John sub Castro
Parish church. 1839 by George Cheeseman. Flint with red brick dressings.
Plain tiled roofs. West tower, nave with short chancel. Short tower with
castellated turrets. Very large lancet side-windows with unarchaeological
tracery divided by thin buttresses. West front with central tower projecting
slightly with clasping buttresses and recessed sides, the roof hidden by sloping
parapets. Central window with two lights, panelled below with rose above and
hoodmould, above pointed arched doorway with doubled boarded doors, overlight and
hoodmould. Side windows with two lights, over boarded doors. Doorway from
original church, probably C10, attached in wall to east. Unmoulded arch flanked
by three demishafts and demirolls. Slab capitals. Remains of chancel arch
also, on south side of building with restored inscription which commemorates a
certain Magnus of Danish royal stock who chose to become an Anchorite at this
place. Interior: Galleries on simple columns on three sides and short apsed
chancel. Tie-beam wagon roof. Painting: Christ and the Children, Venetian,
W.H. Godfrey, The Official Guide to Lewes, 1933, revised 1977, 39-40.
B.O.E., Sussex, 1965, 552.
Listing NGR: TQ4146810426
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings