This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8764 / 50°52'35"N
Longitude: 0.0102 / 0°0'36"E
OS Eastings: 541522
OS Northings: 110471
OS Grid: TQ415104
Mapcode National: GBR KPW.WZT
Mapcode Global: FRA B6XS.FS6
Entry Name: Russian Memorial in the Churchyard of St John Sub Castro
Listing Date: 29 October 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1043887
English Heritage Legacy ID: 292975
Location: Lewes, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Lewes
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: St John sub-Castro, Lewes
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 4110 SE LEWES ABINGER PLACE
10/4 (north side)
Russian memorial in the
Churchyard of St John sub
Memorial. Circa 1877 in a neo-Gothic style by John Strong, mason of Lewes.
Stone on an octagonal stone base and moulded round plinth. Octagonal drum with
marble shafts carrying cusped pointed arches and the ribs to the pointed
octagonal spire. Octagonal tabernacle feature above supporting cross.
Inscribed with the names of the Russian soldiers who died during imprisonment
in Lewes at the time of the Crimean War. Panel to east reads 'Sacred/to the
Memory of/the Russian Soldiers/who died Prisoners/of War in Lewes/in the years/
1854/ 1855 1856'. Panel to the west reads 'RAISED/by the order of/His Majesty/
the Emperor of/RUSSIA/Alexander II/1877. THE MEMORIAL/was restored by the/
Embassy of the USSR/1957/At the instance of the/Friends of Lewes/Society'.
Listing NGR: TQ4152210471
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings