History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin

A Grade II* Listed Building in Glynde, East Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8646 / 50°51'52"N

Longitude: 0.0683 / 0°4'5"E

OS Eastings: 545647

OS Northings: 109267

OS Grid: TQ456092

Mapcode National: GBR LRH.L41

Mapcode Global: FRA C61T.6FY

Entry Name: The Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin

Listing Date: 20 August 1965

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1043918

English Heritage Legacy ID: 292942

Location: Glynde, Lewes, East Sussex, BN8

County: East Sussex

District: Lewes

Civil Parish: Glynde

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Glynde St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Ringmer

Listing Text

GLYNDE
1.
5206
The Parish Church of
St Mary the Virgin
TQ 4509 31/526 20.8.65

II*

2.
Church of England. Built by John Morris of Lewes to the design of Sir Thomas
Robinson in 1763-5 for Dr Richard Trevor of Glynde Place who was Bishop of
Durham from 1752-1771. The north, south and east walls are of cobbles on
a ashlar base. The west or entrance front is faced with knapped flints on
an ashlar base with ashlar quoins and pediment set in a wooden surround with
modillions. Stone cartouche of the arms of Dr Richard Trevor in the tympanum
of the pediment. Above is an ashlar cupola containing a bell. Large ashlar
porch with pediment containing a round-headed doorway with semi-circular fanlight
and large double doors. The interior retains its contemporary fittings such
as box-pews and screen. But the gallery was inserted in 1841 and the chancel
repaired in 1894. The east window was designed by William Peckitt.


Listing NGR: TQ4564709267

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.