This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0025 / 51°0'8"N
Longitude: 0.5435 / 0°32'36"E
OS Eastings: 578554
OS Northings: 125645
OS Grid: TQ785256
Mapcode National: GBR PVK.070
Mapcode Global: FRA D60G.KK4
Entry Name: Bodiam Castle
Listing Date: 3 August 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1044134
English Heritage Legacy ID: 292338
Location: Bodiam, Rother, East Sussex, TN32
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Bodiam
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Bodiam St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 72 NE BODIAM EWHURST ROAD
6/12 Bodiam Castle
This building is an example of the latest period of military architecture of the
Middle Ages. It was built by Sir Edward Dalingridge in the years following 1385,
when he was given a licence to crenellate. The castle is built of sandstone ashlar
quarried at Wadhurst. It takes the form of a hollow court-yard set in a wide moat.
It is of 2 storeys with a castellated parapet over. At the four corners are round
towers of 3 storeys similarly embattled-and with vices containing the stairways.
In the centre of the south, east and west sides are projecting square towers
similarly embattled, the south one with machicolation below the parapet. This
tower contained the postern gate which had a drawbridge across the moat. In the
centre of the north side are two similarly projecting square towers with a recessed
portion between and on each side, and-machicolation over the whole. Four centred
archway with portcullis. This was the main entrance of the- castle and drawbridge
across the moat. Loop windows, some with pointed heads. The hall and kitchen
were on the south side of the internal court-yard, the living rooms on the east
side, but most of the buildings behind the outer walls are now ruinous. The castle
passed by marriage to the Lewknor family in 1470. It was partly dismantled during
the Civil War. It was bought by Lord Curzon in 1917, restored in 1919 and
bequeathed by him to the National Trust in 1925. Ancient Monument.
Listing NGR: TQ7855425645
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings