This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9495 / 50°56'58"N
Longitude: 0.7339 / 0°44'2"E
OS Eastings: 592132
OS Northings: 120237
OS Grid: TQ921202
Mapcode National: GBR RZ1.DD2
Mapcode Global: FRA D6FL.MRH
Entry Name: The Old Stone House
Listing Date: 12 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1044296
English Heritage Legacy ID: 291922
Location: Rye, Rother, East Sussex, TN31
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Rye
Built-Up Area: Rye
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Rye
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
1578 CHURCH SQUARE
(The Old Stone House)
TQ 9220 1/17 12.10.51.
This house comprises the west wing of the premises occupied by the Friars
of the Sack, built in 1263, dissolved in 1307 and burnt out by the French
in 1377. It was largely modernized in 1869. The walls are of rubble.
The north front is gabled, with a buttress at its north east angle. It
contains a C13 2 light window on the 1st floor, and a small C14 rectangular
window on the ground floor, also an old, partly moulded, stringcourse.
The other window and the doorway on this front are modern. The east wall
is timber framed with brick infilling. In the centre is a slight projection
containing a chimney of later date with a window in it on the ground
floor level and a C16 stack above. The VCH says the house (old No 17)
has a C14 roof and interior.
Nos 20 to 46 (even) nd No 33 form a group with Nos 27 to 30 (consec)
Listing NGR: TQ9213420234
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings