This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1417 / 51°8'30"N
Longitude: -0.4863 / 0°29'10"W
OS Eastings: 505986
OS Northings: 139139
OS Grid: TQ059391
Mapcode National: GBR GG4.9W6
Mapcode Global: VHFW2.JK8M
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 9 March 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1044371
English Heritage Legacy ID: 291710
Location: Cranleigh, Waverley, Surrey, GU6
Civil Parish: Cranleigh
Built-Up Area: Cranleigh
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Cranleigh
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 03NE CRANLEIGH C.P. HIGH STREET
6/71 Church of
9/3/60 St. Nicholas
Church. C12 core with later C12 aisles, C14 tower to west and chancel to east,
restored in 1845 by William Butterfield and south porch added in 1862. Car-
stone and ironstone blocks with some coursed Bargate stone on transept, Bargate
and clunch dressings with some Bathstone dressings to upper part of tower.
Horsham slab pentice roof to south and on nave. Shingled pyramidal roof on west
tower with raised ridge and gablets. Cruciform plan with tower to west and
porch to south. Square tower with quoined angles and offset string courses.
Two-light, round arched louvred windows to upper stage and irregular "scaffold
holes" with tile-on-edge filling on tower. Wooden diamond shaped clock face on
south side over further lancet window, recut two-light, trefoil-head window to
south side. Large 3-light Decorated style window to west face in deep coved
surround and under hood moulding, studded and strap-hinged door below. Former
stair turret to north-west angle. Two square headed, ogee traceried windows to
north aisle, with buttresses to ends and centre. North transept window C19
Decorated style, inserted in 1862-6 when both transepts were lengthened and
the vestry was added to north with battlemented parapets and ogee head lancet
fenestration. East end - Diagonal buttresses to ends. 5-light, leaded east
window with banks of quatrefoil tracery above. South aisle: square headed,
two-light, ogee arched windows. Timber framed gabled porch with braced arched
entrance. Arcaded bargeboards with foliate decoration, 6 leaded arched windows
to sides of porch over rendered plinth walls.
Interior:- Spacious, aisles open to nave in wide and open bays on round pier
arcades with "crimped" decoration to arches and arches of crossings and doors.
Half-octagonal pier responds to tower arch with chamfer and hood moulds.
Braced tower posts visible inside. Chancel arch wide and high and to the west
of it are the beginnings of another wide transverse arch, not continued and
now capped by two early C20 statues, possibly the west arch of a former
crossing although V.C.H. believed it to be former chancel arch superceded
before completion. Main arch of north transept (Knoll Chapel) of two orders
with moulded imposts. Arch of south transept with shafts of trefoil section
and circular abaci and large floral corbels for multi-moulded ribbed arch to
transept. Painted hammer-beam roof to chancel.
Fittings:- Triple sedilia on south wall with moulded arches on trefoiled inner
order. Fine tabernacle and reredos either side of east window by
William Butterfield with mosaic decoration, crocketed gables and tracery arcade
above. One parclose screen in S. transept. C14. Single panels with ogee
tracery heads. Pulpit 1845. Octagonal and panelled on eight columns with ogee
crocketed panels made up of remains from screen. Late C16 lectern on salamonic
twist stand and strapwork base. Octagonal font.
Monuments:- Fragmentary brasses on north side of chancel. Rosa Chadwick Healey
memorial. 1880. Elaborate brass with angel under Gothic Arch and wall
paintings of St. Rosa and St. Tabitha. 1910 Art Nouveau niche memorial on East
Wall of North transept.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) pp.173-4.
V.C.H. (1967 Ed) Vol. III pp.86-92.
Listing NGR: TQ0598639139
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings