This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1661 / 51°9'57"N
Longitude: -0.7973 / 0°47'50"W
OS Eastings: 484191
OS Northings: 141444
OS Grid: SU841414
Mapcode National: GBR DBP.WST
Mapcode Global: VHDY8.4YCH
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 9 March 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1044427
English Heritage Legacy ID: 291551
Location: Frensham, Waverley, Surrey, GU10
Civil Parish: Frensham
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Frensham
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 84SW FRENSHAM C.P. FRENSHAM STREET
3/41 Church of St Mary
9/3/60 the Virgin
Church. C13, tower C14 restored in 1929 by W. Carõe, remainder of Church restored in
1868 by Hähn. Sandstone rubble, mortar rendered with older sandstone on tower, quoins
to angles. Plain tiled roofs under ridge crest to chancel. Tower to west, nave and
north aisle, chancel to east and large gabled porch to south. Short tower to west
with large diagonal brick buttresses to west end. Two stages with parapet and 2-
light, trefoil head window to each face of top stage, trefoil head lancet below.
Large Perpendicular style window to west, over west doors in re-cut surround. Re-cut
windows to south and east. Two higher windows to north under hood moulds. Gabled
porch over plinth walls with cinquefoil lights and tile-hung, bargeboarded gable.
Simple chamfered arched surround to south door with studded double door. Body stone
with inscribed cross to corner of porch.
Interior:- four bay nave arcade of round piers with wide, overhanging, naturalistically
carved capitals by R. Hubbucle-: foliage and birds. Crown post roof to nave of 4 bays,
cusped braced roof to chancel, panelled roof on north aisle. Two arched bays to north
side of chancel. C19 chancel arch, C14/C15 tower arch with two octagonal half-
responds and glazed screen across. Blocked door to south wall of chancel.
Fittings:- arched piscina on south wall of chancel, square aumbry next to it.
Remains of wall monument to north wall of chancel with two crocketed buttresses on
multiple shafts below, now flanking North Chancel window.
Pulpit:- C2O walnut with elaborate foliage carving.
Square font on round central stem with detached angle shafts. Holy water stoup
adjacent to south door.
Listing NGR: SU8419141444
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings