This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1934 / 51°11'36"N
Longitude: -0.7057 / 0°42'20"W
OS Eastings: 490538
OS Northings: 144596
OS Grid: SU905445
Mapcode National: GBR DBM.2DP
Mapcode Global: VHDY9.Q88G
Entry Name: Fulbrook House
Listing Date: 2 July 1971
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1044456
English Heritage Legacy ID: 291516
Location: Elstead, Waverley, Surrey, GU8
Civil Parish: Elstead
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Elstead
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 94SW ELSTEAD C.P. FULBROOK LANE
5/6 Fulbrook House
Country House. 1896-9 by Sir Edwin Lutyens for Gerald Streatfield, extended by
Lutyens, further extended to north in 1970's by Roderick Gradidge and altered in
1980's. Coursed and rough dressed Bargate sandstone with plain tiled roofs, swept
out over eaves and with tile hung gables. Half-H shape range to entrance front,
kitchen court to north. Tall corbelled and panelled ridge stacks scattered across
Entrance front:- Two storeys. Woodframed, leaded casement fenestration with one
four-light window to first floor and one 6-light window to ground floor of left
hand wing. Narrow "breather" in gable apex, and further ground floor casement to
left in catslide extension. Regular arrangement of windows to recessed centre
range; two 4-light windows either side of centre on the first floor, three 2-light
windows on the ground floor. Continuous casement fenestration to first floor of
right hand wing, wrapping round left corner to gable end. Polygonal turret,tile-
hung, in angle formed between projecting wing and range to right. Two angle bays,
to right hand range. Main door to centre in gabled projecting porch with 6-light
mullioned and transomed window on first floor. Lugged stone panel below the window
with diamond pattern panel and date. Round arched, stone edged,moulded entrance
with stylized keystone and impost mouldings. Shallow flight of brick steps lead
to studded panelled door.
Right hand return front:- Two storeys with outer gables and angle bays to either
side of recessed centre. Central square bay under deep eaves with flanking "flying
braces". Wood framed, leaded casement fenestration, 6-light to centre bay, turned
balusters to first floor balconies either side of centre. Single storey gabled
extensions to the east side, housing a 1970's swimming pool.
Interiors:- Lutyens first classical interior, now altered by Gradidge and others.
Ionic order piers and columns survive in the Great Hall and staircase bay. Arched
and keystoned door surrounds. Original staircase and landing with keystoned
lunette to wall.
Drawing Room:- Green and white marble lugged fireplace with gadrooning.
Dining Room:- Original panelling and famous carved brick and stone fireplace with
Breakfast Room:- Grey marble fireplace.
Grounds originally laid out by Mrs Streatfield and Gertrude Jekyll.
PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) pp. 249-50.
DANIELL O'NEILL: SIR EDWIN LUTYENS: COUNTRY HOUSES (1980) pp. 37-6O, ill 12 & 13.
LAWRENCE WEAVERS HOUSES AND GARDENS BY E. L. LUTYENS (1981) pp. 21-2, ill 38, 39,
40, 41 & 42.
Listing NGR: SU9053844596
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings