History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Rose and Crown Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Godalming, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1854 / 51°11'7"N

Longitude: -0.6169 / 0°37'0"W

OS Eastings: 496758

OS Northings: 143817

OS Grid: SU967438

Mapcode National: GBR FD2.LVH

Mapcode Global: VHFVT.8G6M

Entry Name: The Rose and Crown Public House

Listing Date: 16 February 1977

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1044468

English Heritage Legacy ID: 291449

Location: Godalming, Waverley, Surrey, GU7

County: Surrey

District: Waverley

Civil Parish: Godalming

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Godalming

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Godalming

Listing Text

GODALMING MILL LANE
SU 9643 NE
12/169 (north side)
The Rose and Crown Public
16.2.77 House
GV
II

Hall house, now pub. c1500 altered later C16, C17, C18, C19 and C20. Timber-
framed with brick and plastered infill, front rendered and scored as stucco,
rear wing of brick. Plain tile roofs. 2 storeys with cellar; 3 bays, with
2-storey side-outshut added to left and 1-storey-with-cellar, 1-bay addition to
left again; wing added to rear right. Road front: main range: on right, steps
up to recessed C20 door with wooden doorcase and canted bay window on right, all
under wooden canopy box; canted bay window above has 6-pane sash with 2-pane
side-lights and flat roof; iron bracket with C20 pub sign on right. To left,
two 6-pane windows in reveals to each floor, all of different size. Large stack
to rear left. Outshut addition has 4-pane window to 1st floor and coped
parapet. Far-left bay has cellar window, 4-pane sash, eaves stack on left, and
on left return a loading hatch with 6-pane window over. Rear: wing on left has
two tiny lights to gable and end stack; inner return has sash with glazing bars
in reveal. Two right-hand bays masked on ground floor by single-storey addition
(not of special interest) but 1st floor has exposed timber framing with arched
braces. Interior: cellar, under wing, has very large brick chimney with 2 bread
ovens; room above has chamfered joists with lambs tongue stops. Parts of
original timber-frame visible. Roof not inspected but reported to have heavily-
sooted timbers, clasped purlins and wind braces and gablet (DBRG report). The
c.1500 hall house had a chimney and floor inserted in the later C16, and wing
added to rear right in the C17.
Domestic Buildings Research Group, Report No 1427.


Listing NGR: SU9675843817

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.