History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Minton Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Godalming, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1856 / 51°11'8"N

Longitude: -0.617 / 0°37'1"W

OS Eastings: 496751

OS Northings: 143842

OS Grid: SU967438

Mapcode National: GBR FD2.LTB

Mapcode Global: VHFVT.8G4G

Entry Name: Minton Cottage

Listing Date: 7 December 1988

Last Amended: 26 April 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1044485

English Heritage Legacy ID: 291490

Location: Godalming, Waverley, Surrey, GU7

County: Surrey

District: Waverley

Civil Parish: Godalming

Built-Up Area: Godalming

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Godalming

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Godalming

Listing Text

In the entry for--- GODALMING STATION ROAD
(west side)
Mintern Cottage
12/206
The address shall be amended to read ----

SU 9643 NE GODALMING STATION ROAD
(west side)
12/206 Minton Cottage

------------------------------------

GODALMING STATION ROAD
SU 9643 NE
(west side)
12/206 Mintern Cottage
GV
II

House. Later C16, altered C17, C18 and C20. Timber-frame largely rebuilt in
Flemish bond brick, painted. Plain tile roofs. 1½ storeys, 3 framed bays, that
on left originally a smoke bay with floored right-hand bays; rear wing added to
left late C18 and further extended 1984. South front: 3 small-pane casement
windows, of 3, 2 and 2 lights, with 2 windows above breaking eaves under
gablets. Right return: walling has tiled offset at height of approx 1½ metres;
C20 central board door in gabled porch; 6-pane window to right on first floor;
tile-hung gable. C20 2-storey addition on right and 1984 wing extension not of
special interest. Interior: rear wall retains square-panelled timber-framing;
former wall between open hall and right-hand bay removed on ground floor but
remains on first floor, having wattle and daub panels and large-scantling arched
brace; left-hand truss has cambered tie-beam with queen posts; old floor joists
to right bay; left-hand bays have C17 inserted floor, with lambs tongue stops to
chamfered spine beam, inglenook with chamfered timber bressummer on ground
floor, and on first floor an old panelled cupboard to right of fireplace. Roof
not inspected but reported to have sooted rafters over left-hand bay and sockets
from former wind braces. A chimney in the added, rear wing, now removed, had a
brick dated 1783.
Domestic Buildings Research Group, Report No 3506.


Listing NGR: SU9673943848

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.