This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1857 / 51°11'8"N
Longitude: -0.6132 / 0°36'47"W
OS Eastings: 497021
OS Northings: 143850
OS Grid: SU970438
Mapcode National: GBR FD2.MS7
Mapcode Global: VHFVT.BG6F
Entry Name: 68 and 70, High Street
Listing Date: 1 February 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1044493
English Heritage Legacy ID: 291408
Location: Godalming, Waverley, Surrey, GU7
Civil Parish: Godalming
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Godalming
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
GODALMING HIGH STREET
SU 9743 NW
Nos 68 and 70
Former Little George Inn, now shop. C17, refronted probably early-mid C18;
altered later C19 and late C20. Red brick in Flemish bond and tile-hanging,
with traces of former timber-framing. Plain tile roof. 3 storeys, 2 bays;
2-storey bay to left and C20 rear extensions not of special interest. Late C20
shop front, not of special interest. Upper floors have corniced 2nd-floor
platband; giant end pilasters with moulded capitals and triglyphs above;
dentilled cornice; parapet with blue header bricks, end pilasters and cornice.
Windows have flat brick arches with moulded terracotta keystones, on 1st floor
with blind, C20, fixed 12-pane windows, on 2nd floor with old 12-pane sashes
having thick glazing bars and exposed sash boxes, and flanking end of tie rod.
Rear: one tiny gabled dormer. Left return: tile-hung, steeply-pitched gable.
Interior: remains of square-panelled timber framing visible, having sole plate,
posts and mid-rail, with carpenters marks and stretcher-bond brickwork.
Listing NGR: SU9702043861
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings