History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Pepper Pot

A Grade II Listed Building in Godalming, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1855 / 51°11'7"N

Longitude: -0.6156 / 0°36'56"W

OS Eastings: 496854

OS Northings: 143826

OS Grid: SU968438

Mapcode National: GBR FD2.M5N

Mapcode Global: VHFVT.8GYK

Entry Name: The Pepper Pot

Listing Date: 18 December 1947

Last Amended: 1 February 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1044496

English Heritage Legacy ID: 291415

Location: Godalming, Waverley, Surrey, GU7

County: Surrey

District: Waverley

Civil Parish: Godalming

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Godalming

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Godalming

Listing Text

GODALMING HIGH STREET
SU 9643 NE
(north side)
12/136
The Pepper Pot (formerly
18.12.47 listed as Town Hall)
GV
II

Former Town Hall. Dated 1814, by John Perry; stair tower added 1890s. Stuccoed
with Welsh slate roof. 2 storeys, the lower storey open. 3 x 3 bays, the
shorter sides canted and so forming elongated octagonal plan. South elevation:
projecting central bay. On ground floor, round-arched arcade with rusticated
columns on plinths, imposts and archivolts, the central arch larger. First
floor: band, broken in centre by date plaque; 3 sashes with glazing bars in
reveals with projecting sills, central sill moulded. Oversailing eaves to
octagonal roof. Central 2-stage tower with clock (by Richard Steadman of
Godalming) to metalled lower stage, and Tuscan-columned cupola above housing
bell and with dome surmounted by finial. Returns: ground floor arcades have
large central arches, that of left return with inserted 6-panel door and
fanlight with radial glazing bars; 1st floors have central sash with glazing
bars flanked by round-arched recesses. Rear: windows are all blind; on right,
added cantilevered stair-tower with rounded corner, strings, 6-pane window,
cornice, and flat roof.


Listing NGR: SU9685443826

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.