This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1872 / 51°11'13"N
Longitude: -0.6158 / 0°36'56"W
OS Eastings: 496837
OS Northings: 144020
OS Grid: SU968440
Mapcode National: GBR FD2.F50
Mapcode Global: VHFVT.8FT7
Entry Name: Marshall Monument Approximately 14 Metres North North East of North East Corner of Chapel at Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 1 February 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1044512
English Heritage Legacy ID: 291355
Location: Godalming, Waverley, Surrey, GU7
Civil Parish: Godalming
Built-Up Area: Godalming
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Godalming
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
GODALMING CHURCH STREET
SU 9644 SE
(east side, off)
10/84 Marshall monument approx
14 metres north-north-east
of north-east corner of
chapel at Church of
St Peter and St Paul
Chest tomb. c.1820. Ashlar. In Neo-Classical style. Roll-moulded base stone
on podium. Plinth. Attached Tuscan columns support entablature with segmental
pediment to each side having fans in tympana. Pulvinated panels between columns
(2 on each longer side, 1 on each shorter side) bear commemorative inscriptions:
on west side to Sarah, wife of Robert Marshall, d.1819, and Robert Marshall,
d.181(?); on south side to their son, Frederick, d.1820. Inscriptions worn.
Monument covered by ivy and not fully visible at time of survey.
Listing NGR: SU9683744020
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings