This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1873 / 51°11'14"N
Longitude: -0.6157 / 0°36'56"W
OS Eastings: 496838
OS Northings: 144034
OS Grid: SU968440
Mapcode National: GBR FD2.F4Z
Mapcode Global: VHFVT.8FV4
Entry Name: Holland Monument, Approximately 24 Metres North of North East Corner of North Chapel of Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 1 February 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1044513
English Heritage Legacy ID: 291356
Location: Godalming, Waverley, Surrey, GU7
Civil Parish: Godalming
Built-Up Area: Godalming
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Godalming
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 9644 SE
CHURCH STREET (east side, off)
Holland Monument, approximately 24 metres north of north-east corner of north chapel of Church of St Peter and St Paul
Chest tomb. c.1830. Ashlar. Neo-Classical style. Roll-moulded base stone on podium. Attached Tuscan columns on plinths supporting entablature with panelled frieze breaking forward and with anthemion decoration over columns. Pitched lid with moulded edge and pedimented ends. Incised panels between columns (two to longer sides, one to ends) bear inscriptions commemorating William Elph Holland, d.1869; his wife, Mary Ann, d.1839; her son, William Barrett Holland, d.1828 (this being the earliest inscription) and various other family members. Ivy-covered at time of survey. William Elph Holland was a brewer and owned Nos 39 and 40 Bridge Street (q.v.), (J Janaway, pers. comm.).
Listing NGR: SU9683844034
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings