This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1962 / 51°11'46"N
Longitude: -0.6075 / 0°36'27"W
OS Eastings: 497394
OS Northings: 145033
OS Grid: SU973450
Mapcode National: GBR FCW.WS4
Mapcode Global: VHFVT.F669
Entry Name: 53 and 55, Farncombe Street
Listing Date: 1 February 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1044515
English Heritage Legacy ID: 291365
Location: Godalming, Waverley, Surrey, GU7
Civil Parish: Godalming
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Farncombe
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
GODALMING FARNCOMBE STREET
SU 9745 SW
Nos 53 & 55
Originally one house, later subdivided. C16 timberframed
building, refronted and extended in late C18 or early C19 and
further extended at the front c.1900 in Arts & Crafts style.
Timberframed building with front of Bargate stone rubble and later
projecting gable with plinth of Bargate stone, ground floor
rendered and gable tile hung. Right side elevation is tile hung.
Tiled roof with tall cemented chimneystack with brick finials and
2 external brick chimneystacks to rear. 2 storeys with attic to
No. 55. 4 windows. c.1900 projecting gable has window of Venetian
type, the top part having 2 ornamental brackets and carved scroll
work and the casement below having leaded lights and iron hinges.
Ground floor has 3 leaded lights, the right hand one to No. 55 a
corner window with rusticated Ionic column with strapwork motif to
base. Left side round headed brick doorcase with impost blocks.
The remainder of No 55 is set back with half hipped gable to right
side giving an C18th appearance. 1 casement with leaded lights to
1st floor and C20 casement to ground floor. Fixed attic casement
to right side. Front door situated in angle of the L has C16
framing above and wooden seat of c1900. No 53 has a gabled
extension to left with leaded light casement and c.1900 1 storey
block with a plinth of Bargate stone, timber framed above with
plastered infill and tiled roof. Central 4-centred arch with
gates having square wooden piers with 2 re-used church trenchards.
This area is enclosed by a curved forecourt wall of Burgate stone.
Interior of No. 53 has rear ground floor room with late C16 spine
beam with lambs tongue stop and large square floor joists.
Midrail and door opening (now blocked) into No 55 central ground
floor wall has jetty brackets and remains of triangular mullions
showing this was the outside wall in the C16th. 1st floor has
exposed ogee bracing, weathered tie beam and queenposts and collar
beam. The purlins were added in the C18th. Rear bedroom has long
slightly curved diagonal tension brace and curious C18 ceiling.
The framing extends into No 55 which appears to have been a hall
heated at the rear with No 53 being a jettied parlour.
Listing NGR: SU9739845033
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings