History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barber, Bundy and Partners

A Grade II Listed Building in Godalming, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1871 / 51°11'13"N

Longitude: -0.6085 / 0°36'30"W

OS Eastings: 497341

OS Northings: 144012

OS Grid: SU973440

Mapcode National: GBR FD2.GZ9

Mapcode Global: VHFVT.DFNB

Entry Name: Barber, Bundy and Partners

Listing Date: 18 December 1947

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1044567

English Heritage Legacy ID: 291290

Location: Godalming, Waverley, Surrey, GU7

County: Surrey

District: Waverley

Civil Parish: Godalming

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Godalming

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Godalming

Listing Text

GODALMING BRIDGE STREET
SU 9744 SW
(south-east side)
11/21
No 19 (Barber, Bundy &
18.12.47 Partners)
GV II

House, now architects' office. Probably early C18 with front range added c1800,
altered later in Cl9 and C20. Red-brown brick in English garden wall bond with
stucco dressings; earlier brick and some timer-framing and Bargate stone to
rear. Plain tile roof. 2 storeys, 3 bays with lower rear wing off-centre.
Plinth; rusticated quoins; plat band; eaves band; cornice; parapet having 3
balustraded sections, end pilasters with dies above and central peaked blocking
course. Central flight of 7 stone steps with iron balustrade having twisted
newels with vase finials, up to 6-panel door with brass knocker and door knob
under overlight with decorative glazing bars, all in architrave with slender,
fluted, ½-columns and bowed entablature with frieze and modillion cornice. On
either side are 2-storeyed canted bays having 8-pane sashes (unhorned on 1st
floor) and panelled section between floors. Above door is sash with glazing
bars under flat brick arch. End stacks, slightly projecting. Rear:
timber-framed wing has central canted bay under polygonal roof, side-outshut on
left and later, gabled single-storey projection on right (not of special
interest); timber-frame,of small scantling, comprises wall posts, rails, studs,
wall plate and one tension brace visible. Rear of main range, on right of wing,
is of early brick with some vitrifiedheaders in irregular bond and has eaves
band and dentils which continue around return. Left return rear part is of
Bargate stone. Interior: open-string stair has plain, square-section balusters,
spiral curtail to handrail and panelled dado.


Listing NGR: SU9734144012

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.