History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

37 and 38, Bridge Road

A Grade II Listed Building in Godalming, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1865 / 51°11'11"N

Longitude: -0.6098 / 0°36'35"W

OS Eastings: 497257

OS Northings: 143944

OS Grid: SU972439

Mapcode National: GBR FD2.GNN

Mapcode Global: VHFVT.DF0T

Entry Name: 37 and 38, Bridge Road

Listing Date: 18 December 1947

Last Amended: 1 February 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1044568

English Heritage Legacy ID: 291294

Location: Godalming, Waverley, Surrey, GU7

County: Surrey

District: Waverley

Civil Parish: Godalming

Built-Up Area: Godalming

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Godalming

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Godalming

Listing Text

GODALMING BRIDGE STREET
SU 9743 NW
(north west side)
13/25
Nos 37 and 38
(formerly listed with
18.12.47
Nos 39 and 40)
GV
II

House now office. Probably early C17, with C18, Cl9 and C20 alterations and
additions. Timber frame with brick infill, mostly painted; brick and Bargate
stone; plain tile roof. 2 storeys, 3 bays, with added rear outshuts. Rubble
plinth. Timber frame comprises posts, studs, rails and wall plate forming
panels infilled with later brick; framing replaced by C20 brickwork to ground
floor, centre. Two C20 doors and three C20 large leaded windows to ground
floor; 4 small leaded casements under eaves. Projecting stack to rear right.
Framing to left return and to right return which has further door and windows
and end of tie rod in form of double cross. Rear: outshut on right under cat-
slide roof, of stone with brick quoins, has gabled window breaking eaves; to its
left, broad lateral stack to main range of similar materials with offsets and 2
square flues; further left gabled roof dormer to main range which is masked by
C20 outshut and gabled projection which are not of special interest. Interior:
chamfered spine beams and broad, chamfered joists; arched braces in rear wall,
on first floor, and from wall posts to tie-beams which have burn marks from rush
lights; queen-post roof trusses with clasped purlins, curved wind braces. Old
windows on first floor with original frames, old iron casements with catches,
saddle bars, diamond leading and some old glass; in right-hand bay two 3-light
windows in rear wall with flat wooden mullions (possibly a later modification to
provide light for weaving); on first floor, cross-walls have iron pins from
former doors, a double cross-wall at left end possibly the outer wall being from
a formerly-adjoining property; ground-floor inglenook fireplace (at rear) has
chamfered timber lintel.


Listing NGR: SU9725743944

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.