This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2152 / 51°12'54"N
Longitude: -0.7988 / 0°47'55"W
OS Eastings: 483991
OS Northings: 146904
OS Grid: SU839469
Mapcode National: GBR DB3.NW8
Mapcode Global: VHDY2.3QJ9
Entry Name: Number 77 (With Arcaded Frontage to the Borough)
Listing Date: 26 April 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1044623
English Heritage Legacy ID: 290907
Location: Farnham, Waverley, Surrey, GU9
Civil Parish: Farnham
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Farnham
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
1099 CASTLE STREET
No 77 (with arcaded
frontage to The Borough)
SU 8346 NE 5/45 26.4.50.
No 77 Castle Street and No 1 to 5 To-An Hall Buildings form a block to which
is linked the Bailiffs' Hall [No 6 Town Hall Buildings]; this block was designed
by G M Aylwin, W T Benslyn and H Falkner, and is the result of energetic local
activity to improve existing buildings and meet traffic problems in a narrow
space, in harmony with the best of the C17 and Cl8 character of the neighbourhood.
The building was completed in separate stages beginning with the completion
of the western end in 1932.
(For Nos 1 to 6 Town Hall Buildings see The Borough, North West Side,)
No 77 Castle Street has a frontage to Castle Street of 7 bays and a frontage
to The Borough of 5 bays. Modern 2-storey building in free Cl8 character.
Replaces earlier timber-framed design by Norman Shaw.
Castle Street front:- Brick on stone plinth with stone dressings. Enriched
coved plaster cornice. Tile roof and central lantern with weathercock of
ship, 7-bay front. The ground floor has arched treatment with openings including
central 6-panel double door, and 4 windows. The left hand forms yard door
with double 8-panel doors, curved head, the right hand forms entry to end
of ARCADE along front facing 'BOROUGH'.
The Borough front:- adjoins Nos 1 to 5 Town Hall Buildings [see under The
Borough, North West Side]; of identical style to the Castle Street front
except that the ground floor is open and arcaded.
All the listed buildings in Castle Street (East Side) form a group.
Nos 1 and 77 Castle Street, Nos 1 to 9 (consec) including No 1A, and Nos 1
to 6 Town Hall Buildings (The Borough), the listed buildings from Nos 108
to 122 (consec) West Street, all form a group.
Listing NGR: SU8399146904
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings